Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Points Series Championship

cpty1

I doubt I'll be participating.. $10 up front, $10 extra for each match you shoot, and realistically you'd have to shoot at least 10 semi-major matches (Nationals, 2 Areas, 4 state/section and 2 "other" matches-- one of which can't even be in your area, and all of which must be correctly blessed by USPSA) to even be in the running.  

Since the nearest 'other' state match is at least a 6 hour drive and we don't even have a section here, this is looking like a big non-starter for us.

And USPSA had better tread very lightly when it comes to paying cash prizes to winners.  Taxes and various state lottery laws all may apply.

(Edited by shred at 11:19 am on Dec. 30, 2002)

Kudos for the idea primarily go to Charles Bond, the USPSA Area-6 director, who has passionately fought for getting this done.  He led a committee composed of himself, Arnie Christianson and Jake Kempton, and after a lot of work got a proposal put together that the rest of the Board could live with.    

As far as tax implications and such, one of the reasons the announcement was delayed was so that we could check with the lawyers and the auditors, to make sure that the point series awards would neither make us an employer, nor impact USPSA's non-profit status.  They have assured us that as it is structured, we're OK.

Bruce

How about state lottery rules?  Some large company (I've forgotten who) just had to stop one of their contests because it violated some state's lottery law.  I'd hate for USPSA to get into that kind of trouble.