Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

safariland 012

johnny7

I use the 012 with my P-14 based open gun for Steel Challenge. It's one of my favorite holsters. I just don't like that it doesn't have a "positive" locking system, but since I bag my gun after each stage, it doesn't matter for that.

I bought one when I got back into the sport and got rid of it pretty quickly. No secure lock and not as adjustable as the others out there. They've upgraded it to the 013 with a decent lock, and I picked one up off a prize table, but sold it a few days later. It didn't seem like the lock was as easy to disengage during the draw as it is on other models (Limcat, Ghost, Ribas, and it looks like the new Race Master).

There's a reason why you see people with 012s using velcro straps around their guns...to keep them from getting knocket out. I know more than one person who's been DQ's from a match because of a dropped gun out of a 012. :surprise:

I bought an 012 when I first started USPSA. I got a good deal on it. I later found out why. It is a fast holster, but will also almost draw your gun for you. It has no positive lock. My gun fell out of it at least three times (all unloaded drops at USPSA matches, so no DQ, thankfully). I sold it and now use either a Dropped offset BladeTech or a Modified SERPA in both USPSA and 3gun. I would spend my money somewhere besides an 012 holster. Just my $.02

Hurley

I know some folks have trouble with them but I have used one (011 then 012) for my caspians without issue for years. Where a lot of folks seem to get into trouble with them is failue to have them adjusted correctly (usually the nose piece) or failure to push the gun in all the way or failure to have enough tension. Having said that, if I hadn't started with one, not sure its what I'd pick now. (Like Bart I got an 013 off a prize table not that wild about the location of the lock...)