Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder Release With Detent

underlug

I have two Smith 8 shots with the ball detent cylinder release. Both are more difficult to open and close than my old 625 with the traditional hook up. Is there any way to improve my ball detent 8 shot's cylinder release and closing?

You can remove the ball detents or remove the material leadiing to them. The only purpose these serve is for a tighter lock-up on the yoke. The rear ejection rod / hammer safety holds the cylinder in the year, the ball detents really serve no other purpose.

Circle cyclers rule!

First of all, I would check and see if the ejection rod is scuffed or has a mark on the end where it locks into the underlug. It is a pretty easy fix to push out the pin that holds the spring and the rod catch out. This should make it smoother, or at least let you know if there is another problem. You can also check and see if you are using an aftermarket thumb latch, it may not be going forward enough. Check these things first, and it might be a good time to pull the cylinder off of the crane and pop it open and closed a few times, to see if anything is hanging up. Lastly, try a little lube on the ball, couldnt hurt. It should be smooth, but like a bank vault it the ball detent was done correctly. I know this can be really frustrating, take your time and think it through and you will figure it out! Good luck, Doug

Underlug, ole buddy, ole pal, ole pard, (well if he has two eight shots he could loan one). I am not familiar withthe PC 8 shots. Does it have the ball detent in addition with the two already in place? On my detent set up the ball takes the place of the front lockup at the ejection rod. Check to see if the pin that pushes through the back of the rebound shield goes fully through the shield and even a tad further. If it doesn't I would look, as Doug stated, at the thumb release. You might have to take a little off to let it go a little farther. Also if the lockup is also in front of the ejection rod the rod could be a little loose or not set at the proper length. Practice cause we wants to look good at the IRC.

here's what you do. take a dremmel tool and cut a channel, but not as deep as the full lock up, maybe about halfway. this will help with the opening and closing of the cylinder. also you can completly unscrew the ejection rod and cut about 4 or 5 coil out of the small spring in the cylinder, this will help in opening the gun.