Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best $800 upper for 3gun starter rifle

Paradiddle

Looking for a good upper $800 or less for 3gun. From what I've read 18" makes sense with a rifle gas system, no sights and a smooth forend.

The Rock River Arms Varmint A4 18" seems to fit the bill perfectly.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270

Thoughts on other brands I should check out? For reliability's sake I think I'd like to buy a built upper as apposed to having one built/build my own. I want it to run all the time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff

DPMS makes an 18" barrel, with rifle length gas system, chrome lined, 1 in 9 or 1 in 8, not sure.

Buy a Flat-top upper receiver, a low-profile gas-block/tube, a rifle length free-float hand-guard, and this 18" rifle-gas barrel, toss on a Miculeck comp, and you're good to go. Likely around $700 or less.

Jeff

You should be able to easily build one for less than that, but from what I've been seeing lately, the biggest limitation is availability of barrels. If you want a good barrel, today, have a look at this Sabre barrel at midway. A bit pricey, but good quality and available.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that none of the big manufacturers make a 3 gun ready upper at an "affordable" price. I was learly of building one only because of reliability - is that a non issue if I have a reputable local AR guy put it together? I've assembled the lower parts many times and understand the "lego" approach, but I don't want issues with the gas system.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies. It seems that none of the big manufacturers make a 3 gun ready upper at an "affordable" price. I was learly of building one only because of reliability - is that a non issue if I have a reputable local AR guy put it together? I've assembled the lower parts many times and understand the "lego" approach, but I don't want issues with the gas system.

Jeff

Contact forum member GentlemanJim. He owns Firebird and knows a thing or two about rifles and 3-gun.

Jeff

Contact forum member GentlemanJim. He owns Firebird and knows a thing or two about rifles and 3-gun.

Thanks

I got a upper from White Oak for $850 shipped. 18 in. SPR stainless barrel, Stainless Cooley comp blended to the barrel, rifle gas system, low profile gas block, their forearm cut to rear of gas block, fitted bolt, standard charge handle, dust cover and forward assist. Shoots better than I can.