Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Magazines- 10 Rounds??

jimstc

Santa brought me a Springfield PX9130L for Christmas. This is the 1911 platform in a 9mm caliber. It came with two 9 round mags. I was wondering if there are 10 round or higher capacity mags available. It was suggested to me by Rhino (aka The "alleged" Drafty Drifter) to try my 38 Super mags . They fit and they would feed rounds. I haven't tried to fire the gun with these mags but probabaly will today.

Any advice?

Happy Holidays

I tried several Wilson combat 38 super mags with my springfield 9. I never had any success. Whether 38 mags will work seems to be very gun dependent, some will some won't. If you already have some super mags by all means try 'em, but my advise is don't expect too much. My gun using a super mag would feed ball ammo hand cycling but not during firing. I bought metalform mags. They sell the front spacer design and if you buy 10 or more can get a pretty decent price.

Nice present.

Seth

Twix and I went to the range today and the two Wilson 38 Super 10 rounders we had both worked fine, as did the two Kimber 38 Super 9 round mags.

And, the Kimber mags appear to be identical to the Springfield 9mm mags except for a small diagonal cut-out on the very front of the followers (on the 9mm's).

That's great news about the .38 super magazines working. When you get your others back from being tuned, I'll bet they'll work too. I think that as the 9mm 1911 guns get more popular that someone will start making 10rd mags especially for them. It's just a matter of time! :)

What isn't good news is that you guys went shooting without me behind my back today! I knew you were phasing me out, especially since BigDave is back and you have a replacement third guy to step into place! :angry:

If you load your 9x19 out to near super length (1.200" to 1.270"), most any super mag should work fine. I have about a dozen Metalform 9rnd 9mm mags that I use in my single stack .38 super and they run flawlessly (my super started life as a Springfield 1911 in 9x19). I think it is mostly an OAL thing that makes super mags touchy with 9x19, or 9x19 touchy in gubmint models.

Happy Holidays,

I can attest that BigTruckJim's gun ran pretty well today. I think he had one little malfunction, but other than that, it was aces with his .38 super mags.

My Ruger 22/45 did not fare as well, but I've been shooting it since 1997 and I've never had it apart to clean it. :rolleyes:

I use Chip McCormick .38 Super mags in my Springfield 9mm. They hold 10 rounds and run flawlessly with factory 9mm or reloads with no re-working. They are available from Brownells. Wilsons work OK with 9 rounds, but always seem to have problems feeding when loaded to the full 10 rounds.