Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP Loads

Jan R.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 200gr LSWC in front of a little titegroup. I haven't been able to beat it yet.

I picked up some titegroup for the first time the other day, and am struggling to dial in right now. What is your 'recipe'?

I am using 200gr LSWC, and Remington primers. I loaded the minimum 4.8 to start, but the were very hot. After cleaning the lead out of the inside of my barrel, and some internet research, I loaded some, 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, and 4.1. All cycled perfectly fine and had a nice soft recoil. I am wondering if the 4.8 was a typo, and they really meant to put 3.8, because I bet I could even go lower. Any thoughts on this?

i've settled on Precision 200gr SWC over 4.9 of Titegroup. gives me a 170 PF and feels really great to shoot. there is a bit of smoke (see my videos), but i can never tell until i watch myself shoot the gun.

did you verify you had 4.8. 4.8-4.9 puts should put you in the ballpark of making major PF. i went with 4.9 to give a littl extra cushion.

Edited by Corey

It was definitely 4.8, but way too hot. I didn't chrono it, but the lead streaking is evidence of this. The events I shoot are pretty lax on power factor, so I usually just load to the minimum recommendations. As long as it cycles, I'm happy. In this case, however, I have had to go under and do a little experimenting. Like I said, 3.8 cycles great; even weak hand trying to limp wrist it a bit. I really don't know what is going on???

im sure you can get some pretty light loads with it. 4.9 doesnt feel too bad to me. I never tried going down to Minor PF loads as i dont want to shoot .45 minor at matches, haha. I suppose if its cycling ok, run with it.

Im shooting a 5" 1911 btw. not sure what gun you are shooting. if its a shorter barrel or a lighter gun, the recoil effect would be different.

Its a 5" Sprinfield TRP. The actual diameter of the bullet and OAL may play a factor as well, but I am new to this reloading business so I don't really know.

Titegroup is pretty hot powder either way.

yea, it is on the warm side, which i like. get the fire going and get it out the barrel, haha. doesnt take much powder to get to where i need to be velocity-wise. getting it cheap is a bonus for me :)

• 2 months later...

You guys really seem to like tight group. I've had good accuracy with 230 gr FMJ over 5 grs of Bullseye. It's a little messy, and involves more clean-up, but it shoots well out of a five inch 1911. I haven't tried Tight Group yet.

Jim

I've been using 200 grain LSWC from Missourri Bullets with 4.3 grains of Hogdon Clays with Winchester primers. This combination has served my 5 inch 1911 45 well for going on 2 years of probably 3 matches a month or more. it consistantly shoots a PF of around 173.

230. I've tried others and always come back to the 230.

Two, why is that? I'm just starting my first batch of 185gr Nosler, cause someone took all the 230gr at cabelas! Was that you? Lol... I live in Hammond/Hessville 3 min from Debs!