Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frontstrap on a para

johnny7

I have seen some paras that have the frontstrap checkered on them. How are the gunsmiths doing these with the serrations that are on the frontstrap. Are they being checkered to the same amount so serrations per inch? Or welding the front strap up and starting fresh? How many lpi are there in the frontstrap and if you were to weld one up what is the least amount of lpi could one put on one?

The wall seems a little thin in some places to go to a 20 lpi checkering.

thanks

Johnny

In 1995, I checkered the Para frame from a gunsmith kit. Used the Brownell's 30 LPI to set up the pattern and was very, very careful to not cut through the grip. Quite nerve racking and I will not do it again. That said, the gun has well over 75 thousand major loads through it and still no cracks.

I've not messed with any newer frames so I do not know if the metal in the grip is thicker or thinner now. My kit did not have the serrations on the front of the grip so I do not know how deep they are or if they line up with a 20 or 30 LPI pattern.

Bill

I have seen some paras that have the frontstrap checkered on them. How are the gunsmiths doing these with the serrations that are on the frontstrap. Are they being checkered to the same amount so serrations per inch? Or welding the front strap up and starting fresh? How many lpi are there in the frontstrap and if you were to weld one up what is the least amount of lpi could one put on one?

The wall seems a little thin in some places to go to a 20 lpi checkering.

thanks

Johnny

I used the existing serrations. It checkers at 20LPI. I reduced the depth of cut at the bottom where the mag well is beveled because it is too thin there.

Gary

Gunsmith bare frames don't come with the serrations.

EGW used to EDM the frame, and weld in a checkered insert.

I saw one of those a while back and it looked very nice. I don't know if George mills out a bit of the metal on the front of the grip or not, but it did not add much if any to the size of the grip.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...