Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

it's amazing

usmc1974

John Browning was definately a gifted man. I think one of the reasons the 1911 has endured is that it was not rushed into what it is. It took 14 years to get to the 1911 design. Most people (and companies) would not have the fortitude to see a project like that through, they would either settle for something less, or just give up. But JMB and Colt held in there and gave us a great pistol.

It has been said that if John Browning, Henry Ford, and Thomas Edison could come back today, John Browning would be the least impressed with the developement of his inventions.

Hurley

I think the 1911 is an archetypal object. It's place in the consciousness of our species is somewhat like the "Singing Sword", a Magyar Bow or a sword made by the masters in Japan or Damascus. Save that obviously it's not a one off. It's an Industrial Age artifact. Yet it has the same mysterious attraction.

Americans are an odd lot. Our heritage is one of malcontents, misfits and restless wanderers. The sorts that "don't fit in". There have always been those among our species that just don't "fall in line" or "knuckle under". For whatever reason one day they wake up, look around and the awareness dawns that they gotta get out of here, where ever "here" is. Or perhaps they just turn out to be the sort that find the hard boundaries and rules that cities, states and "civilization" seem always to turn to, in order that they may help those of less hardy constitution enjoy the illusion of feeling "safe". They end up on a ship, perhaps, sent away to a distant shore so the disturbance they carry with them every place they go, does not unsettle souls not drawn to the wild places. So...when you come to that place and you know that you'll leave the objects that others turn to for reinforcing the illusion of control and the feelings of safety, you'll begin to assemble a "kit" for the journey into the wild lands. You can carry only so much. Certain kinds objects have always accompanied that sort. I think of John M. as sort of an industrial age Merlin. Or perhaps a medicine man of great power. Just the sort you might wish to visit right before you leave safety and certainty to go on "Walk About". In a world increasingly flummoxed and confused by pretty, attractive forms that are almost wholly hollow, the 1911 in it's many permutations has a satisfying and enduring substance. I think it "speaks" in a wordless way to the part in us that refuses to cower in the dark and hope for the best. The part that says " Bring it, and you better make it good". I truly hope this part of our nature is not lost from the world!

Single Stack is the one true path!

I think the 1911 is an archetypal object. It's place in the consciousness of our species is somewhat like the "Singing Sword", a Magyar Bow or a sword made by the masters in Japan or Damascus. Save that obviously it's not a one off. It's an Industrial Age artifact. Yet it has the same mysterious attraction.

Americans are an odd lot. Our heritage is one of malcontents, misfits and restless wanderers. The sorts that "don't fit in". There have always been those among our species that just don't "fall in line" or "knuckle under". For whatever reason one day they wake up, look around and the awareness dawns that they gotta get out of here, where ever "here" is. Or perhaps they just turn out to be the sort that find the hard boundaries and rules that cities, states and "civilization" seem always to turn to, in order that they may help those of less hardy constitution enjoy the illusion of feeling "safe". They end up on a ship, perhaps, sent away to a distant shore so the disturbance they carry with them every place they go, does not unsettle souls not drawn to the wild places. So...when you come to that place and you know that you'll leave the objects that others turn to for reinforcing the illusion of control and the feelings of safety, you'll begin to assemble a "kit" for the journey into the wild lands. You can carry only so much. Certain kinds objects have always accompanied that sort. I think of John M. as sort of an industrial age Merlin. Or perhaps a medicine man of great power. Just the sort you might wish to visit right before you leave safety and certainty to go on "Walk About". In a world increasingly flummoxed and confused by pretty, attractive forms that are almost wholly hollow, the 1911 in it's many permutations has a satisfying and enduring substance. I think it "speaks" in a wordless way to the part in us that refuses to cower in the dark and hope for the best. The part that says " Bring it, and you better make it good". I truly hope this part of our nature is not lost from the world!

Single Stack is the one true path!

WOW!!!

. . . Personally, It doesn't fit my hand so well and is not very attractive to my eye. That's OK right? When new shooters ask which gun would be best, we tell them to find a gun that best fits their hand. This is just not one for me. (Sorry for being a detractor. I guess I should've kept my mouth shut in the first place.)

No problems -- I just wish a whole lot more people thought the way you do (so there'd be more 1911s for me!) :)

I think that one of the reasons that the 1911 has endured is that there has been virtually zero advancement in small arms technology in the past 100 years. Compare small arms technology (I'm talking the arms and ammunition themselves, not optics and such) between 2010 and 1910 and then compare 1910 with 1810 and you'll see that the technology has totally stalled. Apart from some slight advancement in bullet technology (but nothing truly revolutionary) ammunition from 1910 is the same as in 2010. Apart from modern manufacturing techniques and the use of polymers, nothing in small arms themselves has really changed. Its all just slight variations on the same ideas. This has allowed a good design from 1911 still be a good design today.

Why the 1911 and not the other arms from that era? Simple. The US Army. Unlike rifles, pistols have never been a primary military weapon and the 1911 performed well enough that there was little impetus to adopt a new pistol for 70 years. Once the US military finally got around to looking at its replacement, the 1911 was firmly established in the US. The subsequent adoption of the Beretta M9 only helped to cement the 1911's popularity. I suspect that had the military replaced the 1911 with a modern design in .45 ACP the 1911 would not be enjoying as much popularity as it currently is.

John Browning was the man. He had many timeless and functional designs.

As a young engineer working in the military jet industry one boss told me that his goal was not to be responsible for anyone's death (he was a civil engineer or target builder as we called them).

I wonder what Browning's moto was???????????????????????????

I vote for Kill em all and let GOD sort them out!

Any suggestions?

Now that I've sparked this crazy debate about grip size, I feel that I should reveal that this weekend I handled the first 1911 that felt good in my hands, and it looked good too. It was Lisa Munson's SV Infinity single stack with pretty thick wood grips. I still don't get it though. I'd much rather have the 2011.

The back and forth bickering posts have been removed. (I might split off some drift too.)

Folks, if you can't post on a thread celebrating the upcoming 100y mark of the 1911...without getting into a pissing match...then, take a deep breath, look in the mirror, and ask yourself why you are posting.

- Admin.