Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to build a windmill

I'd like to build a windmill type target with 2 paper targets and 2 no shoots. It would be activated by a popper and start spinning and slowly slow down. Kinda like a Texas star but not with steel plates. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any ideas on how to make it?

Thanks

Donna

Edited by kimmie

These are a must. Mounted Ball Bearing

I have one of Max's Windmills. Lots of fine steel work went into it. A couple of North Texas forum members have built their own with multiple targets like you want and creative drive systems. Maybe they'll chime in.

A search of the "Props Construction" forum under "Pre-match" yielded some results, but I don't know how to link to them after the forum upgrade.

Edited by Steve J

Thanks - this helps! Anyone know where I can find pictures of the Texas windmill?

PM forum member Scorch, the match director of the Double Tap Championship. He used to have a four target windmill for sale on the Double Tap Ranch website, but I couldn't find it when I looked recently.

I built a pinwheel target that mounts 4 threats and 4 non threats. Use it behind a barricade so they only show up for a split second. It’s powered by an automotive windshield wiper motor so you have multiple speeds if you want.

pinwheel.jpg

I and others thought it was pretty neat so I incorporated the idea along with the TX star and built this one. Your pistol is placed on a switch spinning the star at the buzzer picking up the pistol cuts power to the motor so you have normal TX star action, after you hit a plate.

powertxstar.jpg

I also liked the evil star idea, so I built one of them too. I can’t believe I don’t have a photo of the drive but it’s simple it’s just two spur gears one on the star shaft and another on the non threat shaft, so the shafts counter rotate. Here’s a video.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=funstar.flv

Jmorris - thanks - that is really cool. This is going to give me something to work on over the summer before we start up our indoor matches again next year!

And thanks everyone else for all the good suggestions.

Donna

• 1 month later...