Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Load Sanity Check

Fullauto_Shooter

After an extensive search for data on this forum, I'm preparing to load up some .38 Super Steel Loads for testing. My pistol is an STI Trubor with 10lb spring - really don't want to mess with the pistol or try to tune it specifically for steel.

Need one last sanity check before I start cranking out rounds. Please comment on the data below and let me know if these recipes are "in the zone".

115gr FMJ

5.3-5.4gr TG

121gr IFP

5.3-5.5gr W231

5.0-5.2gr TG

6.4-6.6gr 4756

4.8-5.0gr N320

124/125gr JHP

4.9-5.1gr W231

4.3-4.5gr N320

Thanks,

Doug

Hey Doug! I'd advise a 115 grain bullet and 4.9 to 5.0 grains of N320. You've seen my pistol, it's also a Trubore, and I've never had a problem with that load. Although, I am shooting a 9# spring instead of a 10# but I bet you still don't have a problem.

Hey Doug! I'd advise a 115 grain bullet and 4.9 to 5.0 grains of N320. You've seen my pistol, it's also a Trubore, and I've never had a problem with that load. Although, I am shooting a 9# spring instead of a 10# but I bet you still don't have a problem.

Thanks Thomas. I'll give the N320 a try too - my only concern with the TG is that it burns hot (as in the gun gets hot after prolonged shooting). Not sure if that's a factor in Steel Challenge or not. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

Doug

FWIW....I wont Titegroup for that same reason. The gun gets Way hot after shooting a bunch of strings, and it can't be good on the gun when there are better options for powder that doesn't get the gun that hot.

I use 231, but 320 will work well too.

Good luck,

DougC

Doug - I run 5.0gr of WST behind a 115 for steel, in my Briley with a 10# spring, border line sluggish. This load hits about 1100 fps. You could bump .1 or .2 gr. What I really liked about the load is it hits pretty close without a dot adjustment, in a this gun. In my other gun it wad 2" low at 20 yards, with a heavier slide it was sluggish.

One of the wierd things about shooting a powder puff load is on the close steel it is hard to tell if you hit it, the pole doesn't wag like a dogs tail, and the blast sound and steel hit cover each other up.