Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Muzzle Break

oddjob

I'm looking for a decent muzzle break for my M1A. I'm looking at the Surefire. How does it mount & how does the front sight stay on? I have the Smith, but just can't get the accuracy with it. By the way I live in Calif and can't use the regular break.

thanks......ron

I just looked at the Surefire website, I don't think they make a M1A comp that you can use the front sight with. If you went w/ the Surefire you would probably have to use a Smith gas lock with front sight, which is going to give you a terrible sight radius. The best option for a M1A comp I've seen is what is used by Patrick Kelley and Michael Fordyce. It's a standard M1A flash suppressor w/ the flash suppressor part cut back about 1/2" in front of the front sight base and externally threaded. I believe both of these guys use a DPMS comp that's modified for 7.62mm. Very effective, but unfortunately not commercially available. I just use the factory flash suppressor.

For a commercially available brake, check Smith Enterprises. Fulton Armory may have one available too.

I'm in Cali as well so I feel your pain. Maybe try reaming the muzzle brake. Brownells has got them here http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5174/Product/MUZZLE_BRAKE_REAMER. We've got to work with what we've got out here.

Sorry if you've already tried this, but have you tried it scoped with no muzzle brake to see if that's where the accuracy problem lies?

Good luck

Kevin

M14 Threaded Adapter

You don't have to cut and thread anymore.

I have not tried one of the nokick units but as long at it fits the barrel splines well and sits

square to the bore it should be good to go.

Patrick

That looks like just the ticket! Now I just have to decide if I want to go "hi-tek". One of the reasons I've always shot HM is because I get to use 50+ year old technology and be reasonably competitive. :)

I'm looking for a decent muzzle break for my M1A. I'm looking at the Surefire. How does it mount & how does the front sight stay on? I have the Smith, but just can't get the accuracy with it. By the way I live in Calif and can't use the regular break.

thanks......ron

Why can't you use the California legal SAI brake? Not saying it is great, I just do not understand your comment.

My rifle came without a muzzle break at all. It was a private sale from out of state and the previous owner had to remove the flash hider for me to get it legally. Goofy law, but thats California....