Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy from eastern PA intro

Motronic

I have to start by saying that I'm impressed at what I've read here over the last few days. After all of the misinformation and bickering on so many other gun forums, this place looks like a class act.

A bit about me - I've been shooting since I was about 8. I was in and out of it for years, but all of that was just range trips, plinking in the woods, and hunting. Nothing too formal or structured.

I recently found out about a range close to me that runs IDPA events and got really interested. I was looking for good dry fire drills and live fire drills I can run at your typical restrictive indoor range until it gets a little nicer out and I can really get started, and that searching led me to here.

Look forward to soaking up whatever information I can, even though some of what I've read so far is far over my head for now.

I'm USPSA rather than IDPA so can't help you there. If you want to dabble in USPSA, there are a number of places to shoot. Here is an Area 8 list. I'm in Wilmington and matches should be starting next month. Once things get going, there are one to two matches each weekend 3 weekends a month within a 2 hr drive for me.

Double Action runs indoor IDPA matches year round. They should also be able to put you in touch with other matches.

I'm USPSA rather than IDPA so can't help you there. If you want to dabble in USPSA, there are a number of places to shoot.

I have no preference at this point, not having been to either. Looks like there are a few ranges that run USPSA events near me, one in PA and two in the place which I shall not bring guns: New Jersey - though I'm sure I could if I were going to a match and have everything locked, etc with a sterilized (no JHP, and whatever else they don't like) range bag. And no AR in the truck. And who knows what else. It's probably safer to head west for me.

Thanks for the pointer. I had meant to look into that. I'd definitely like to try out whatever types of shooting are available within a reasonably distance from me.

I was at the range today, trying to switch from a weaver "I learned to shoot this way in law enforcement training" stance to something more iso with a better grip that I can actually shoot and move with and also shooting with both eyes open. I learned two things: dry fire practice works and I have a LONG way to go.

I have no preference at this point, not having been to either. Looks like there are a few ranges that run USPSA events near me, one in PA and two in the place which I shall not bring guns: New Jersey - though I'm sure I could if I were going to a match and have everything locked, etc with a sterilized (no JHP, and whatever else they don't like) range bag. And no AR in the truck. And who knows what else. It's probably safer to head west for me.

It is amazing how much disinformation about NJ firearms laws is out there. It is not surprising given how screwed up they are. A couple of months ago a store clerk was telling me how we were breaking the law by leaving the store with the hollow points he just sold my friend. :rolleyes:

Just to make a few things clear:

1. It is legal to sell, buy, own, transport and shoot hollow point ammunition in NJ. It is not legal to carry a firearm loaded with hollow point ammunition unless you are a police officer.

2. If your AR does not have a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor and is not manufactured by colt, it is legal in NJ. Though your 30 round mags are not.

Quite a few people from PA do come to our matches and seem to make it back across the border safely. :cheers:

1. It is legal to sell, buy, own, transport and shoot hollow point ammunition in NJ. It is not legal to carry a firearm loaded with hollow point ammunition unless you are a police officer.

2. If your AR does not have a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor and is not manufactured by colt, it is legal in NJ. Though your 30 round mags are not.

Quite a few people from PA do come to our matches and seem to make it back across the border safely. cheers.gif

What he said... smile.gif

Shongum in NJ is pretty close to the PA border, and it's a great match to come try out USPSA (not too big, laid back atmosphere, etc.)

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested in checking it out...

eta: Also, the Old Bridge and Central Jersey USPSA matches are a little farther from you, but worth the ride! They put on awesome matches (usually 7 great stages) every month, and you get to see some of the best shooters in the area.

Edited by Xfactor

My own club is in Southern Chester County near Kennett PA (near Longwood Gardens). Third Saturday of the month. We shoot 5 (sometimes 6) stages. A really diverse group of all ages with just about every division represented every month. Nothing fancy but we do have a lot of fun.

This is all great info, and I appreciate the pointers and offers. I definitely want to check out some of the events.

To get me started, I found an indoor "action defensive shoot" at my normal range (Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA) that they hold once a month. I've never done much more than staying in a position while shooting, so this seems like a good way to try out some movement. I'm a little hesitant to just jump right into an IDPA or a USPSA match at some range I've never been to with a bunch of people I don't know :) This ought to take care of that.

To get me started, I found an indoor "action defensive shoot" ... I've never done much more than staying in a position while shooting, so ... I'm a little hesitant to just jump right into an IDPA or a USPSA match at some range I've never been to with a bunch of people I don't know ...

I thought the same thing before I went to my first match a couple years ago... I put it off, and put it off, then finally ended up going to a match (at Shongum) just to watch. About halfway through the match, I thought, well, that was dumb - I should have just come and shot! The next month I did just that, and I'm really glad I did! Everyone was really nice, helpful, and encouraging, and I made a lot of new "shooting buddies" right away.

In other words, I really don't think you'd benefit from a non-USPSA/IDPA match as an interim step. An "action defensive shoot" could be anything... no standards for safety, match quality, etc. ALL of the USPSA matches that I've been to were run with a level of professionalism that make them both safe, and a ton of fun for the Masters/GMs, as well as new shooters (and you'll always find both).

cheers.gif

By the way, I personally MUCH prefer shooting outdoors...

I'm a little hesitant to just jump right into an IDPA or a USPSA match at some range I've never been to with a bunch of people I don't know.

Don't be shy. Jump on in, there are plenty of people who will help if you start to sink. It doesn't matter how good you shoot or how inexperienced you are. You can expect that most everyone on your squad will be glad to give you all the pointers and help you need - short of shooing the COF for you that is.