Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel info

patrickbeijer

I want to build me a new upper and want it as leight possible,but with rifle length gas system

This is what i had in mind

dpms lo pro receiver

JP lmos carrier mill spec bolt

JP alu adjustable gasblock

Clark carbon handguard

Miculik or Nordic comp

But here it comes ,i am looking for a chrome line mill spec chanbered barrel that is 18 (or20) inch long and is 650 under the handguard and at the gasblock and further .750 and i would prefer a 1/9 twist

Anybody here with suggestions on what kind off barrel that would be (brand and where to buy ? )

Edited by patrickbeijer

To my knowledge....there is no one that makes a barrel with those specs and criteria any longer than 16".

You're going to have to get a 20" government profile and have it profiled. The good thing is that those barrels can be had fairly cheap on the used market.

To my knowledge....there is no one that makes a barrel with those specs and criteria any longer than 16".

You're going to have to get a 20" government profile and have it profiled. The good thing is that those barrels can be had fairly cheap on the used market.

I just had mail from a shooter here in the Netherlands who claims he has a used barrel exactly like that but in 1/7 from Colt,

but i cannot find any info from Colt about a barrel like that,in .650 to .750 :mellow:

Patrick, do you have the carbon fiber handguard yet??? if not i have one!!

trapr

Thanks Trapr but i allready have that ,i only need the barrel and the receiver the rest i have

Just a thought but fluted barrels are lighter than a similar heavy contour.

fluted barrels seem to have a shift in poi when they get hot ,so i want to stay away from those

Edited by patrickbeijer

I have an older Colt "pencil" barrel on one upper. 1/12 twist, so you're bacially limited to 55's - but that's what I mostly shoot anyway. Lightweight and swings and transitions very nicely. I considered having a smith cut it down to 18" and open up the ports - but it's so lightweight and balenced that I left it at 20".

Yep thats very close but i wish they had put the dimensions and twist wth it,then i would know for sure

20" Bushmaster M16A2 Type Barrel Assembly

These Gov't. profile barrels - light in weight and reduced in diameter under the handguards are ideal for restoring that older rifle or building a new light-weight. Complete barrel assemblies include bayonet lug, threaded muzzle, A2 birdcage flash suppressor, handguards, gas tube, and delta ring kit.

Options:Assembly w/Lug or Assembly w/o Lug

The 20" Bushmaster M16A2 Type Barrel Assembly:

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

will be close to what you want.

I have this Bushmaster 9 twist 20" barrel with Clark carbon fiber handguard and it's very light. I've been very happy with the Bushmaster barrel. Great performance with Rem 55's, Sierra 69's, JLK 75's and Nosler 69's...

The 20" Bushmaster M16A2 Type Barrel Assembly:

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=7

will be close to what you want.

I have this Bushmaster 9 twist 20" barrel with Clark carbon fiber handguard and it's very light. I've been very happy with the Bushmaster barrel. Great performance with Rem 55's, Sierra 69's, JLK 75's and Nosler 69's...

I have that barrel cut back to 18" and threaded. Very nice set up. , but I'm thinking about selling it. I pretty much shoot either a 16" or 20".

Edited by chp5

I cannot find the weight off that barrel anywhere , does somebody here know wher i can find it ?

I would like to know iff its is much leighter then the 18'' JP barrel i use now (its medium contour ,.650 under the handguard and 875 a from the gasblock and this barrel weights 35.46 Oz)

I cannot find the weight off that barrel anywhere , does somebody here know wher i can find it ?

I would like to know iff its is much leighter then the 18'' JP barrel i use now (its medium contour ,.650 under the handguard and 875 a from the gasblock and this barrel weights 35.46 Oz)

I can't get a caliper under the FF handguard to measure the barrel width. I'm pretty sure it's .650 under the handguards and lighter than your JP, but not significantly. You may save a few ounces. It's certainly cheaper than the JP - but you would have to have a smith cut and thread it which adds to the cost.