Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why You Should Use Over-lays

Flexmoney

In another thread, it was posted that 45 lswc leave a bigger hole in the target than ball ammo.

Great point.

Don't be a "Rusty the timer holder" and make the wrong call when there is a hole that is close to the line.

Time after time I have suprised RO's by pulling out an overlay and proving to them that the hole in the cardboard that the bullet makes actually is/appears smaller than the bullet that made it.

Vince...maybe you can give a lesson on the proper use of an over-lay? [edit] Or, maybe Gary Stevens (Mr. Overlay) could chime in as well???

Kyle,

Since the fall my approach has been to pull out the overlays on all targets that I approach closely without being able to visually award the higher scoring zone to the shooter. Sometimes it's obvious what the call should be --- all others it's overlay time!

Flex,

I doubt I can actually give a lesson here on "How" to use an overlay, but it's certainly the Standard Operating Procedure for any RO worth his salt to:

1. Always carry two overlays with him/her at every match (my two are permanent fixtures in my wallet); and

2. Use the overlays to check each and every hole which is anywhere near a higher scoring (or penalty) zone; and

3. If a competitor challenges your initial call on a target, stop, take a moment, and carefully check the hole being challenged, and do so with a smile on your face.

It's not personal - it's a competition, every point counts and the outcome of a match should be decided by the skill of the competitors, not by a dubious call made by an RO.

In fact, at the last World Shoot in South Africa, the final match results between 2nd and 3rd place was an almost imperceptible 0.0006 match points. Although I haven't done the math, I suspect that 1 Delta converted to 1 Charlie in any one of the 35 stages shot over 5 days would've clearly worked in favour of the guy in 3rd place. Mind you I'm not, for a nanosecond, suggesting that a bad call was made, but I want to emphasise the importance of ROs going the extra mile and taking the extra time to check close calls. Even if the overlay supports the original call, the RO will be seen to have taken the time and the competitor, although disappointed, will appreciate the effort.

BTW, the reason I suggest two overlays is because it's often helpful to use the straight black line on one overlay to highlight the scoring line and to use the relevant calibre circle on the other to checked the bullet hole.

BTW, the reason I suggest two overlays is because it's often helpful to use the straight black line on one overlay to highlight the scoring line and to use the relevant calibre circle on the other to checked the bullet hole.

Cool, never thought of that.

Also can be helpfull in determining a double.

Erik,

"Doubles" are a whole different can of worms. The reason is that if the hole is actually a mythical "perfect double" (up there with the Tooth Fairy), you wouldn't be able to see two holes, even if you carried an electron microscope in your wheelbarrow and had Marge Helgenberger from CSI standing next to you.

The best way to determine a "Damn That's Almost A Perfect Double" is to use a magnifying glass. I carry a credit card sized one (about 1mm thick like a calling card) in my wallet with my scoring overlays. Something like this.

Yes, I'm anal, but nobody has ever accused me of not taking the time or trouble to check a bullet hole ;)

if it's so close that one would need two or more overlays and a microscope why not give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter. if i even have to squint the shooter gets the alpha. at the bigger matches it might be different but at local matches one should never and i repeat never have to pull out an overlay.

just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Thomas,

Sure, for a local club match there might be less (or nothing) at stake apart from a beer or three later.

However bear in mind that giving the "benefit of the doubt" to one competitor might end up screwing another competitor out of a title or trophy, and the only way to be certain is to take the time to check all "close calls".