Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comstock Factoring

SmittyFL

Yeah, by "airgun", I mean something like an "air guitar"--running around with your hands together, pointing at targets.

Although, if you also can't have a stopwatch in your hand, then you need one strapped to your wrist, and you have to change your shooting grip to stop the stopwatch on the last shot.

DD

How'd you guys compute for HF again? :P

Seriously, I used to do this and pour over stage stats trying to figure out how to shoot the stage. Never worked for me primarly because I can't seem to have any control on my tension levels. Realized I can shoot much better not knowing how others have scored it. ;)

... Never worked for me primarly because I can't seem to have any control on my tension levels. Realized I can shoot much better not knowing how others have scored it. ;)

me too. i shoot better when i'm not gunning for anything

After reading TGO's observations about this topic, it's my opinion that you can't let the hit factor affect the way in which you shoot any given stage, you should use the information to aide in the decision making process if it becomes necessary to make up a shot.

All stages are to be shot with the goal of maximizing the HF, fast run and gun or slow and delibrate, you have got to get the maximum points in the least amount of time. But, if you you screw up a shot :o , and you've done the math, you will have a clear idea about what to do about making it up, ie. points gained versus time spent doing it. :)

• 6 months later...

I am digging this up again for some clarification.

I just read where Benny Hill said above 7.5 HF SPEED, below ACCURACY and applied it to a match I just shot this past weekend.

I may be just stuck on the whole accuracy thing, and not believe in comstock factoring, but I think it also depends on the hazards on a stage, and the complication of running a field course. Comstock factoring was used by Plaxco years before this became a running, moving, trick targets game, and it may only apply to standards exercises and classifier type stages.

OK, now I see where TGO says if you do the calculation that you can't let it affect the way you shoot the stage. I read that as if you try to go fast and tense up, that you will likely screw up, but this enomily is why someone can have a miss and place high on a stage. How can this information be used then? It may be a good idea to get to a big match early enough to see what the HHFs on the previous days stages are to determine if they are speed shoots, but then what do you do about it?

Wow, this is an oldie.

Fo,

I was way hung up on this a couple years ago. I spent a long time figuring it out. I think the process of figuring it out was very helpful, but actually putting factoring to use didn't do much for me.

I think the bottom line is you are going to shoot every stage as fast and accurate as you can. After I got all this figured out I would look at a stage and figure out the factor for me. But there is not a whole lot you can do with that information. I think we would all agree you can't shoot any faster because you want to. You can only do what you can do. So you are going to shoot as fast and accurate as you can.....always.

The biggest plus I got out of the whole experience was learning my performance of skills. I feel that is very helpful. I know what my splits and transitions are at most distances. This comes into play with moving targets, picking up a static between a activator and swinger for example. I use a stopwatch on the swinger and know how long I have to get the static and get back to the swinger for two good shots. I also know how long it takes me to do that. So when I time it with the watch, I know immediately if I can make the shot or not. There is no indecision. It's either within my abilities or it isn't. That instills a huge amount of confidence approaching a stage.

This is one exapmle where I would use the factor information. If I timed the swinger and I felt it was just outside of my ability to get a static and come back. Lets say by .15-.25. I would then look at the factor. If it's a high factor stage it may be worth the gamble of an uncalled shot, accepting a D or risking a mike, if the swinger takes a long time to re-appear. If it takes a close to a second or more to come back I may decide to go for it, or I may decide to not pick up the static in between. That's where the factoring might come into play.

So I think learning all your times is helpful, but in general terms, I've come to the conclusion that I just shoot as best as I can.