Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right or lefthanded

muleskinner

Howdy the forum. Need some advice, Have been reading forum posts for sometime know and have learned a bunch. Ok here is my problem, Am lefthanded but when i shoot it seems i am aiming with my right eye I say this because my group is centered but always on the right of A-zone, Have adjusted sights still on right side I have checked myself for dominant eye but it seems i can make either one dominant at will would it be practile to switch to right hand or stick it out left-side. By the way i shoot a STI Trojan in L-10 45-acp Thanks in advance for any and all advise mike scavo nor west ohio

Howdy the forum. Need some advice, Have been reading forum posts for sometime know and have learned a bunch. Ok here is my problem, Am lefthanded but when i shoot it seems i am aiming with my right eye I say this because my group is centered but always on the right of A-zone, Have adjusted sights still on right side I have checked myself for dominant eye but it seems i can make either one dominant at will would it be practile to switch to right hand or stick it out left-side. By the way i shoot a STI Trojan in L-10 45-acp Thanks in advance for any and all advise mike scavo nor west ohio

What happens when you close your right eye? Have you tried shooting from rest?

I am left handed and right eye dominant. It sucks, I tried to teach the left eye to take over, but no success. I just adapt and accept. I tried to shoot right handed and that was comical. TGO does it and he makes it work, practice, practice, practice.

OK The locations of the hits on paper does not mean Dit as far as Eye dominance. to find your dominate eye you have to do some self test = one simple test to start with is pick something at least 10 feet away - farther is better. -Extend both hands to arms length. -use both hands and form a hole that only your nose would fit through. with both eyes open position that hole so that you can see the object you picked 10 + feet away. ' now close one eye' =IF the object did not move "The Open Eye is your (normally) dominate eye. if the object jumped out of view = the closed eye is your ND eye.

I say Normally Dominate in that some people =and plenty of them 1 out of 20 will switch dominate eyes when something obstructs the ND eye.

Obstruction as in the barrel of a gun.

Shooting Left hand right eye is not a handicap that is of any consequence. = I have shot Right hand left eye for over 20 years , and I do OK wink.gif

More than Likely your shots are going Right for the same reason a right hand shooter makes his hits go left.= your adding grip and moving the gun as you shoot

Edited by AlamoShooter

Are you getting any double vision?? Seeing two sights?? Like it was said earlier just because your hitting right doesn't mean that your eye is the problem. Do a test. Stare at something about 10-15ft away. Form a triangle with your index fingers touching and thumbs touching. Extend your arms and as you stare at the object bring the triangle to your face. Once you get it to your face take turns closing each eye. One eye will be staring at your hand and the other will be staring at the object. That is your dominant eye. If that doesn't work do some draws. Then throw a paster over one eye. Do some more draws and you notice very quickly once you tape your dominant eye. Everything will be off.

I went through this whole thing. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. Now I just shoot left handed and move the gun over about an inch in front of my right eye. Works great. Sevigny does this also.

Flyin

• 3 months later...

I am also a lefty and right-eye dominant. I will position the gun slightly to the right in my shooting stance as some of the other have said. The slight off center maybe even too small to notice when someone is watching me. Since I shoot open and like to have full visibility of both eyes open I have never tried the tape trick, but I do see a few that use that method.

I would have to agree with AlamoShooter that the sights are moving off target before the shot breaks. I can shoot with either eye somewhat fast, but not not full speed and if the sights are on the target the target gets hit. I does not matter which eye was aligned with the sights.