Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Kaboom

bbbean

Did you get it to the gun smith yet ? Let us know what the fix was, thanks

Its on his bench now. He says damage looks like it was limited to barrel (split like a banana) and bushing. There was only one bullet in the barrel, so there was either a squib that got pushed out, or a double charge. Had it been a double charge, I would have expected to blow out mags or see some slide damage, so my money is on missing a squib that made it far enough down the barrel to allow a second round to chamber.

Either way, that split barrel and busted bushing are going on the wall over my press as a reminder to be more careful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who had a similar experience at a steel plate shoot. He as shooting lead bullets at moderate velocities in a 45 ACP 1911 and did not realize he had a squiib. The second round apparently bulged the barrel and we could not open the action. In his case the front of the barrel was not split nor was the barrel bushing. I do not know how the local gunsmith opened the gun but the gun required a barrel replacemnt.

Give us a range report !

Quick 100 rounds this afternoon. No squibs. Sights dead on. All As and ringing steel! Its worth noting that Jim Anglin does a trigger like nobody's business! If the weather cooperates, I'll give it a better workout this weekend.

I am glad you got it up and running again without more damage.

Do you mind sharing which manufacturer the slide/frame are and forged or cast?

Thanks!

Caspian frame and flat top slide. Build by Jim Anglin.

I am glad you got it up and running again without more damage.

Do you mind sharing which manufacturer the slide/frame are and forged or cast?

Thanks!

Caspian frame and flat top slide. Build by Jim Anglin.

Thanks for the information; very convincing testimonial for the strength of Caspian components and the work of Mr Anglin!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like a sqib followed by a fully charged round. I had a squib today and one yestady but lukily I did not follow up with another. Wow, I feel fortumate. Sorry!

• 3 weeks later...