Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 shooting major

glocklover

O.K. So, I went out to the range today and chrono some rounds. I used bullseye for my powder. I used it because it's fast burning. I loaded up four different loads. First, 158gr cast bullet with 3.7grs Bullseye it gave me a power factor of 125. Just made minor power factor. It was about 30 degrees today. So, when matches start up in a mounth I should be fine with the warm weather. Second, load was 158gr cast bullet with 4.0grs Bullseye gave me a power factor of 135. Third load was 180gr jacketed bullet with 3.3grs Bullseye gave me a power factor of 114. Fourth load was 180grs jacketed bullet with 3.4grs Bullseye power factor of 118. Not much difference I know but I wanted to start slowly. My next load I think I will do 180grs jacketed bullet with 4.0 grs of Bullseye. To see if I can get to major. Both of the minor loads felt very light, not much recoll.

Craig

Wow, I would not be trying to make major .38 loads with heavy bullets and Bullseye powder. I could be wrong, but I think Bullseye is too fast-burning for that. I would stick with loads that others have used successfully. I'm not any sort of experimental reloader, but if you like the Hercules powders I would suggest you work with Unique and Blue Dot. Those are two powders we used extensively "back in the day" for our hot bowling pin loads.

Since I'm offering opinions here--my recommendation would be to shoot your 686 with minor loads and work on getting those A-zone hits. Then, if and when you're serious about progressing in Revo division, switch up to a 625 or 610 and major ammo and you'll never look back.

O.K. So, I went out to the range today and chrono some rounds. I used bullseye for my powder. I used it because it's fast burning. I loaded up four different loads. First, 158gr cast bullet with 3.7grs Bullseye it gave me a power factor of 125. Just made minor power factor. It was about 30 degrees today. So, when matches start up in a mounth I should be fine with the warm weather. Second, load was 158gr cast bullet with 4.0grs Bullseye gave me a power factor of 135. Third load was 180gr jacketed bullet with 3.3grs Bullseye gave me a power factor of 114. Fourth load was 180grs jacketed bullet with 3.4grs Bullseye power factor of 118. Not much difference I know but I wanted to start slowly. My next load I think I will do 180grs jacketed bullet with 4.0 grs of Bullseye. To see if I can get to major. Both of the minor loads felt very light, not much recoll.

Craig

Wow, I would not be trying to make major .38 loads with heavy bullets and Bullseye powder. I could be wrong, but I think Bullseye is too fast-burning for that. I would stick with loads that others have used successfully. I'm not any sort of experimental reloader, but if you like the Hercules powders I would suggest you work with Unique and Blue Dot. Those are two powders we used extensively "back in the day" for our hot bowling pin loads.

Since I'm offering opinions here--my recommendation would be to shoot your 686 with minor loads and work on getting those A-zone hits. Then, if and when you're serious about progressing in Revo division, switch up to a 625 or 610 and major ammo and you'll never look back.

I loaded up some major loads today with 5grs of Unique and 5grs of Titegroup using 180gr JHP for both. I made major easyly. However, I think your right I need to switch up to a 625 or a 610.

Craig

I'm currently loading 158s with Herco to make major in my GP100, its clean and meters easily. I really like the GP but I am in search of a 610 now. It seems safer and easier to get major with the 40 S&W than the .357 and its a lot cheaper to load for me.

I'm currently loading 158s with Herco to make major in my GP100, its clean and meters easily. I really like the GP but I am in search of a 610 now. It seems safer and easier to get major with the 40 S&W than the .357 and its a lot cheaper to load for me.

A 610 seems like a good idea. 95% of everything I currently shoot is 40 S&W-prodution and limited. I think I will put my 686 on the market and see what I can get for it. Have you tried a heavier bullet? Do you think 38 is a lot harder to reload? At my skill level will it make that much of a difference?

The 686 is rated for .357 Magnum pressures. A 180 slug only needs 925 fps to make major. I shoot 180 jacketed loads (Speer Silhouette TMJ) with 5 grains of 231 in .38 cases to get 780 fps for a Minor match load from a 4-inch GP-100, and that load is only slightly over .38 Spl +P levels. 4.6 grains will get me 720, but I feel that's cutting it to close to the 695 fps I need to make 125 PF with the 180. Powders like 231, HP-38, Unique, and others in that general burn rate can get you 925 fps (only 145 fps more than my Minor match loads) from a 4-inch barrel in .38 cases, without getting anywhere close to .357 pressures, and the recoil shouldn't be much more than my Minor loads. From a six inch barrel you would have even less recoil and could likely make the PF with less powder than a 4 inch gun. It's very doable... safely... if you like your gun and shoot it well.

Chris Christian

Thinking back to the 2009 USPSA Nationals, did anyone on the Revolver Division super squad--including Annette--use anything other than an N-frame .45 ACP wheelgun? In the past, we've usually had a 610 or two in there, but this year I'm pretty sure it was all 625s and 25-2s.

Why fight it?

Why try to reinvent the wheel? (Pun intended.)

Thinking back to the 2009 USPSA Nationals, did anyone on the Revolver Division super squad--including Annette--use anything other than an N-frame .45 ACP wheelgun? In the past, we've usually had a 610 or two in there, but this year I'm pretty sure it was all 625s and 25-2s.

Why fight it?

Your right. I will endup getting a 625 or 25-2.

Why fight it?

I don't believe that is a valid point. It does not matter what someone else can shoot better it is what you can shoot better. Your strengths not the super squads. I have a 625 but do not like the way I shoot it, and I like the L frame and minor loads but the question is about shooting Major in a 686. I used it at a larger match when I first started and did ok. The match did evolve into Area 2 and this was when it was all heads up. Back to the question at hand...oops I forgot the question! I used # 7 and the 160 grain lead but cannot remember the amount of # 7 I used. :blush:

Why fight it?

I don't believe that is a valid point. It does not matter what someone else can shoot better it is what you can shoot better. Your strengths not the super squads. I have a 625 but do not like the way I shoot it, and I like the L frame and minor loads but the question is about shooting Major in a 686. I used it at a larger match when I first started and did ok. The match did evolve into Area 2 and this was when it was all heads up. Back to the question at hand...oops I forgot the question! I used # 7 and the 160 grain lead but cannot remember the amount of # 7 I used. :blush:

Thanks for the input, I do like to shoot my 686 and someday I'll plobably have a 625, but until then I'll enjoy shooting it in major or minor loads. I like to mess around with different loads it keeps me busy in the winter. It's all just for fun anyway.

Thanks, Craig

Craig, you're hearing all sides of the issue here, from some highly qualified wheelgun personnel--just goes to show you there's more than one way to skin a cat (or possum, in Bubber's case)! Truth is, you should probably shoot whatever you enjoy shooting the most, whatever that happens to be.

Well, I really want the 610, but for the same money I can turn one of my GPs into a 10mm/40S&W with Clement's magic. The only thing keeping me from that is his 14 month wait.

I'm almost as bipolar about it as you are! I have a 28-2 so I'm pretty familiar with the N weight and sighting systems. I like that gun a lot, but I shoot my GPs a lot more.

I will probably own a 625 sometime as well, but its not on my priorities.

I started Revolving with a 4" 586 and Comp-IIIs shooting Minor 38SPL in ~1999. After getting addicted and growing with the Revolver style, I thought, I need also a 625 to shoot Major with clips. Tried it for a year or so before the Europeans in 2001. Switched back after this major match because I never felt really comfortable with the N-Frame 625. Got my 586 converted for clips and started shooting also major with this gun with .38SPL cases, 200grs copper plated RNs and ~5.7grs N350. Secure major in a .357Mag gun. The evolution of ammo went on with cutting down the .38SPL cases to .38Super length and 158grs copper RNs and now, I´m using 160grs polymer coated lead bullets from ARES,Starline .38ShortColt brass and ~5,4grs VV N350. Perfect IPSC Revo load! Clean, accurate, fast and easy to reload. If you already have a 686/586 and you are thinking of gaming with this gun - try it. In my opinion, theres no need for a 625 to be competitive. Recoil of the mentioned load is different to a 200/230grs .45 major load. I like the sharp kick of the shorts more than the rolling of the .45. But thats just my very subjective opinion.

DVC,

Sascha

I started Revolving with a 4" 586 and Comp-IIIs shooting Minor 38SPL in ~1999. After getting addicted and growing with the Revolver style, I thought, I need also a 625 to shoot Major with clips. Tried it for a year or so before the Europeans in 2001. Switched back after this major match because I never felt really comfortable with the N-Frame 625. Got my 586 converted for clips and started shooting also major with this gun with .38SPL cases, 200grs copper plated RNs and ~5.7grs N350. Secure major in a .357Mag gun. The evolution of ammo went on with cutting down the .38SPL cases to .38Super length and 158grs copper RNs and now, I´m using 160grs polymer coated lead bullets from ARES,Starline .38ShortColt brass and ~5,4grs VV N350. Perfect IPSC Revo load! Clean, accurate, fast and easy to reload. If you already have a 686/586 and you are thinking of gaming with this gun - try it. In my opinion, theres no need for a 625 to be competitive. Recoil of the mentioned load is different to a 200/230grs .45 major load. I like the sharp kick of the shorts more than the rolling of the .45. But thats just my very subjective opinion.

DVC,

Sascha

Thanks for the info. I'll give your load a try. I forgot about 38 short colt brass. I might try using them. I'm already addicted to revolver shooting. So, a 625 is for sure in my future.

Craig