Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

large frame or small frame?

3djedi

Stupid question but how do you know which frame you have?

I bought a used witness elite limited which I thought were all large framed pistols bought in the box was a pair of Eric Gruafel aluminum grips and the packages says small frame.......

another question is what's the difference between a small and a large frame pistol?

Do uppers swap okay on similar size frames? Kneelingatlas knows this, but I'm wanting a .40 upper for my Limited Custom. Coming from a Glock, it was easy because all 9/40 have the same frames. These Tanfos are giving me lots to learn about.

post-48839-140600619728_thumb.jpg

It looks like a large frame to me. And the mags have a spacer in the rear.

I guess the small grips were ordered by mistake? If you look closely at the picture you can see the screw holes have been slotted......but other than screw hole alignment they seem to fit just fine....

Edited by 3djedi

Do uppers swap okay on similar size frames? Kneelingatlas knows this, but I'm wanting a .40 upper for my Limited Custom. Coming from a Glock, it was easy because all 9/40 have the same frames. These Tanfos are giving me lots to learn about.

Are you wanting to convert from a 9mm to .40? Can't just switch barrels like a glock? Lol

Are you wanting to convert from a 9mm to .40? Can't just switch barrels like a glock? Lol

Yeah, so I can shoot Limited Major instead of Limited Minor. Especially since I just bought components to load more 40 about 2 weeks before I bought this Tanfo.

I don't know if I can switch the barrels like the Glock, but I think I'd rather have a complete upper to just swap over. I seriously thought about buying another empty slide for my G35 and have one setup for each caliber (have enough parts to).

Lol..yep. loving it!

I don't get it though. As the small grip fits perfectly except for the screw hole alignment.

Outside dimensions are the same (i read this somewhere), but mags are different, so even if the profile fits the entire area of the grip, since the mags are smaller, i would assume the holes are not in the same spot.

Firing pin is also shorter, and everything else is the same.

yes you can swap top ends, any large frame pistol will accept a large frame top end in 22. 9mm, 9x21, 38super, 40sw, 10mm, 45. a small frame gun can only accept small frame uppers in 22, 9mm, 9x21, 40sw. the uppers are not interchangeable between large and small frame guns.