Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Trigger in USPSA Production?

zachvu

Since CZ offers a flat trigger that isn't an SAO, would this be legal for Production in USPSA?

Production rules in 21.6 read:

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.
Because CZ offers the flat trigger for the SP-01, would that make it production legal, or would it have to come stock on a production approved pistol to be used??
Edited by zachvu

Since CZ offers a flat trigger that isn't an SAO, would this be legal for Production in USPSA?

No, the flat trigger is not available on any Production legal CZ pistols.

Production rules in 21.6 read:

Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

The reason the flat triggers are for SAO pistols is that their shape limits their forward motion prior to the point where they would reset the DA mechanism; even if you did shave away enough of the front of the trigger to reset the DA, the flat trigger would be pointing forward at something like a forty degree angle.

A couple of years ago I fit one of the CZ SA triggers to work double action on my SP 01, really just to see if it would work. Shot a couple local matches with it and it worked fine, but put it back because it wasn't legal.

post-50115-0-02441900-1398447404_thumb.j

yeah you want what they call the 'old style' or 'original' 85 C trigger which is thicker and with less curve and less concave to it (and has overtravel adjustment). or the old style 97B trigger which is the same but no over-tracvel. and in fact I believe very early shadows came with that same trigger too.

Disclaimer: I am not the guru that atlas, Dave and eerw are.

I reshaped my 75B trigger when I installed many of Dave's CJW parts. I did not like the curvature, so I placed it in my vise and tapped it with a rubber mallet. I did not remove any material but was able to straighten the trigger enough that it is much more comfortable and does not touch the trigger guard.

I placed it in my vise and tapped it with a rubber mallet

:cheers:

I broke a Witness trying to straighten it out with a hammer, they're pretty brittle :surprise:

Yep, I hear you. I did apply some indirect heat prior to reshaping; nothing too hot just warmed it up enough that i needed a thin glove to handle it. Had a spare trigger in the parts box otherwise I probably would not have tried it.