just got my OSP 9mm

jcc7x7

Very pleased

Bought it from another shooter who has moved to another division in uspsa

it's got the factory Vortex Venom on it

I'll use that until it gives me problems

Then I'll change it to my leupold DDP

He had several up grades done by PRP

He made me a super deal on it and I appreciate it.

Looking forward to shooting it in the a.m. ( taking tomorrow off to go and use it!)

Short range report:

150 rounds shot, 100 124gr 135 PF ammo and 50 147 gr 132PF ammo

Liked the dot recovery of the 124 slightly better than the 147gr load.

Perfect function with heavy SS guide rod and 16lbs spring (both in the gun when purchased)

Sighted in POA/POI at 20 yds. decent groups for cold weather appox 2-3"

rings the head box of the steel metric target every time (i.e 20yds)

Cleaned and lubed no issues found

Springer 1911 Guide rod and bushing came while I was gone

GR with 13lbs Wolff Variable spring installed, I'll try that set up out tomorrow

Springer grip tape installed feels good and helps grip a bunch.

I keep eyeballing this platform, would prefer a 5.25" but they arnt factory cut.  Also figure the M&P core 2.0 will hit the market soon. Although doesnt urs have an extended threaded barrel ? Could run a compensator.,,  Id be doing a 45acp version for bowling pins.

The extra length on the 5.25 doesn't matter since there's no sight radius considerations.  I've got a Venom on mine, like it.  I've only competed a couple of times, definitely needs some getting used to acquiring the sight picture quickly. 

21 minutes ago, xdmfan said:

The extra length on the 5.25 doesn't matter since there's no sight radius considerations.  I've got a Venom on mine, like it.  I've only competed a couple of times, definitely needs some getting used to acquiring the sight picture quickly. 

I milled an M&P 8 years ago and carried it everyday for 4 years with a delta point (old style) so I'm used to dots etc.

Shot open for a while off and on also.

I like the grip angle better than the 34 mos I was using last year.

It's running well and neat to play with a new toy

On 1/20/2018 at 2:45 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Short range report:

150 rounds shot, 100 124gr 135 PF ammo and 50 147 gr 132PF ammo

Liked the dot recovery of the 124 slightly better than the 147gr load.

Perfect function with heavy SS guide rod and 16lbs spring (both in the gun when purchased)

Sighted in POA/POI at 20 yds. decent groups for cold weather appox 2-3"

rings the head box of the steel metric target every time (i.e 20yds)

Cleaned and lubed no issues found

Springer 1911 Guide rod and bushing came while I was gone

GR with 13lbs Wolff Variable spring installed, I'll try that set up out tomorrow

Springer grip tape installed feels good and helps grip a bunch.

OSP ran well both SHO and WHO with the 1911 guide rod and a 13 lb Wolff Variable spring.

Less dot movement than with the 16 lbs spring, though I did like the weight of the SS guide rod.

I've shot 124/5, 145/7 and 160 gr loads out of it all in the 132 PF range.

Gun seems to be an easy keeper. runs them all well and shoots decent groups with them all

What kinda guide rod and what length ? GI standard or some size of  full length ?
Far as length.
the 5.25  with lightened slide and the 4.5 are same weight. That tells me there is more moving mass with the 4.5 and less with the 5.25. Also the longer barrel will make power factor with less powder,,, So all in all the longer gun should recoil less.
Granted,, is that "Less" gonna amount to more than a bean,, ? not even a hill, just one bean  ?  probably not.
IDPA just came out with a direct copy of USPSA CO rules,, so really strongly considering this platform in 45... as capacity not an issue. 

Bought the guide rod assy. from springier precision. IT sits right at the end of the slide assy.

Comes with the bushing for the front of the slide.  IT is obviously thinner than the standard GR for XDm's

I tried the 13 lb first as I run those in my 40 SS gun and lots of guys on Benos all said going much lighter causes slide/barrel to go ouot of battery while trigger is being pushed etc.

Prior owner sent the gun to PRP and had a bunch of trigger work and other things done so the lighter trigger wgt. helps not pull it our of battery.

I saw the idpa info also, may start playing with that during the winter. Local club has a good bunch of guys running that indoors .

got one club 45 minutes from me they shoot IDPA and bowling pins.. I basically quit shooting because nearest USPSA was a 5 hour round trip,,, thinking of getting ito it again but havent decided on direction.
IDPA, Pins, USPSA CO or mounted.. ( horse and blanks shooting at balloons)
Hey speaking of that we need a Mounted shooting area

• 4 weeks later...

OSP is running well.

Going to start fine tuning handloads.

Gotta get some extended base pads, probably Dawson.

May go back to SS guide rod and 14 lb spring. Had one out of battery light strike. Hate that kind of stuff, rather have reliability than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

What kinda OAL are u running ?  What kinda chambers do these have ? Short or plenty of room ? I have A bunch of mm ammo loaded, RN anf FMJ of various types from Brownign Hipower and single stack 1911 days, But IIRC its all about 1.140

I run 1.150 145 Bayou rn, or 124 Bayou rn.

Still seems to have room past that

But

All my other 9's run this length also so it makes it easy to have one load at same col. for all the guns

Edited by jcc7x7

Thanks,, looking at a deal on a OSP,,,  May get a S&W core though, waiting on the 2.0 Only gun I had a problem with was a Walther,,  cast round nose had to be down around 1.090 unless they were a pretty pointy shape. 

On 3/5/2018 at 11:21 AM, Joe4d said:

Thanks,, looking at a deal on a OSP,,,  May get a S&W core though, waiting on the 2.0 Only gun I had a problem with was a Walther,,  cast round nose had to be down around 1.090 unless they were a pretty pointy shape. 

Here's a deal on the XDM OSP. I ordered one yesterday. $412 shipped. http://www.keelyarms.com/product_p/sa_xdm9459bhcosp.htm