Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman Ultrasonic cleaner

phil plesetz

I put my Glock 34 barrel in the cleaner with the Lyman solution for an hour and the barrel is no longer black but more of a brownish or dull copper color. 

Has as anyone encountered this before? Is it just a cheezy coating applied to the OEM barrel?

the reason I used the ultrasonic cleaner is I had fears of some possible lead contaminants in the bore. The barrel was a tack driver and most recently had some major fliers that I think came from plated bullets having some plating strip off. 

Thoughts

So I started to clean the bore last night with the birchwood product(treated pads) and I had continuous black coming out of the bore. 

I wiped the outside of the barrel with the same bore pad and the brown/ copperish color was gone and the black was back, however a bit more cleaning and now the barrel is more so a grey color. 

Man, this is the strangest thing I have ever seen.  

Hmmm i wonder if the cleaning solution caused some kind of oxidation on the surface of your barrel and the birchwood casey product then removed it, or course in the process of all the stuff happening to the finish im sure some of it would be lost too maybe resulting in your grey color.