Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.0 vs 2.0, Barrel Length, Apex Kits - a few questions

DKorn

I’m thinking about picking up an M&P and have a few questions. 

Primary use will be 3 gun, with USPSA production, limited minor, or carry optics (probably with a dovetail Mount) as potential options later on. I currently use a 9mm 1911 for USPSA, but want a polymer gun for 3 gun. 

Which gun will be best for my use?

Original M&P, 4.25”

Original M&P, 5”

M2.0, 4.25”, no safety

M2.0, 5”, safety removed and plugged 

Also, which Apex kit do you recommend?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Out of those 4, the Walther Q5 match would be your best choice.

Signed,

former M&P addict who sold them all.

One of the reasons I narrowed it down to the M&P (and originally the Glock as well, but I don’t like the grip as much) was availability of holsters, magazines, etc. 

How is easy is it to find magazines (production length and 140 mm), holsters (including a retention holster for 3 gun), and such for the Q5?

Easy. No issues myself at all.

23+1 with a TTI basepad and a Grams spring/ follower for the P320. Trigger doesn’t need any work at all so I saved money on APEX parts. I run mine bone stock at a shockingly crisp 4.9 pounds. If you want a 3lb trigger you simply replace the trigger spring - Walther’s innovative way of tripping the sear makes them cleaner than an M&P or Glock will ever be.

Red Hill Tactical does a sick holster for it.

Add a Dawson front sight and grip tape, and you’re done with the gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Easy. No issues myself at all.

23+1 with a TTI basepad and a Grams spring/ follower for the P320. Trigger doesn’t need any work at all so I saved money on APEX parts. I run mine bone stock at a shockingly crisp 4.9 pounds. If you want a 3lb trigger you simply replace the trigger spring - Walther’s innovative way of tripping the sear makes them cleaner than an M&P or Glock will ever be.

Red Hill Tactical does a sick holster for it.

Add a Dawson front sight and grip tape, and you’re done with the gun.

This certainly complicated things. What’s the advantage of the Q5 over the PPQ M2 5”? And is it that much better than an Apex-ed M&P?

The Q5 has a lightened slide and is optics-ready.  Mounting plates for all the major dots are included with the gun. I run a deltapoint pro on mine in CO when I’m not shooting production.

I mostly prefer the platform to M&P (which I shot for 8 years and still love) because of superior ergonomics, control placement, and trigger. Anyone who tells you a Glock or M&P or Tanfo or Walther will make a difference your scores is incorrect. I have shot each of those for a year or more in USPSA.

Find a gun you love and practice with it. He who practices, wins. Coley and Vogel stomp with Glocks. Hwansik Kim cleans up with a Walther. Stoeger and Gutt rock Tanfos. And... Er... someone does okay with an M&P, I guess... ;) 

The gun doesn’t matter. Shoot what YOU love.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

MemphisMechanic is right on about the Q5. I do like the 2.0s over the 1.0s, but the Q5 is superior to both I believe. In addition to the points already made by MM, the Q5 is accurate with a variety of ammo, points very naturally for most, and best of all, the trigger is good to go out of the box. I'd be shooting one myself if it weren't for the lack of compatibility between its relatively short grip and my wide XXL sized hands. Definitely worth looking into.

Sounds to me like it’s:

M&P:

$500 gun

$150 Apex parts

$80 sights

(And still not optics-ready)

Walther:

$750 gun, totally ready to go, with sights as an option but not as mandatory as in the M&P

So I guess it comes down to ergonomics, personal preference, and how likely I am to put an optic on it (not likely yet, but toying with the idea). 

EDIT: I realized I never said why I want to make the change. For 3 gun, I want the added capacity. I also just like having a full size polymer gun in the collection. Right now I have a Ruger 9E that I don’t like very much, so this is to replace the Ruger. 

Edited by DKorn

I reluctantly shoot a 5" M&P Core primarily for production and SSP in lieu of a 5" PPQ. (occasional CO also)

I think the PPQ (precursor to the Q5) is superior to the M&P in ergonomics and trigger however I had two issues with it that caused me to switch:

1. For some reason I keep bumping the slide release and as a result it does not lock back on an empty magazine reliably. Not too big a big deal for USPSA but an issue with IDPA.

2. I find the grip frame to be just a tad bit short for my hands. This also results in an all too often pinch when changing mags.

So I could probably train myself out of both of those issues and they probably aren't a factor for most but as of now it is bit of a moot point. I still have not sold my PPQ's though and occasionally think about giving them another try.

Edited by ddc

I went for the Q5 Match. You guys convinced me, plus once I handled one it was a total no brainer. I’m super happy to have a gun that’s ready to go out of the box instead of having to do a bunch of tinkering... I have a 1911 and a reloading press for when I want to tinker.