Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo gold team/custom second barrel

darthdively

Hey folks, out of curiousity. Has anyone used the second barrel that is stamped "factory ammo only" and repurposed it? Did you modify it to have as a back up Major barrel? I have the 38 super V12 in this gun and would like to use it for something since i have it. I prob wont use it for minor loads, but heck, i might. Trying to gather ideas of what to do with it. Wanted to run 9mm major or minor through it but i understand that can be dangerous and silly at the same time. Has any of you found a good use for it? Use it as a back up barrel? It looks like the only difference is that one has more ports than the other. Perhaps open up that second port hole in the comp and have popple holes drilled into it?

What did you do?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hey folks, out of curiousity. Has anyone used the second barrel that is stamped "factory ammo only" and repurposed it? Did you modify it to have as a back up Major barrel? I have the 38 super V12 in this gun and would like to use it for something since i have it. I prob wont use it for minor loads, but heck, i might. Trying to gather ideas of what to do with it. Wanted to run 9mm major or minor through it but i understand that can be dangerous and silly at the same time. Has any of you found a good use for it? Use it as a back up barrel? It looks like the only difference is that one has more ports than the other. Perhaps open up that second port hole in the comp and have popple holes drilled into it?

What did you do?

Thanks!

I had the same gun a few years back, I opened up the one port and cut the other one, plus I drilled the 4 small V ports. It shot ok but not as good as the V12. Not really worth fooling with in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Your best bet is to pull off the old comp and make a new one with a better port design if you can find someone to do it for you.
Agree with this 100%, the only other option would be to mill the front 2 chambers into one huge chamber, and then mill another chamber where the v ports are in the comp. You could do some side ports in the large front port for some side vectors. Just an idea. I will be picking up my 9mm Gold Team tomorrow so I may mill mine like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I havent looked at the barrel closely yet.. so forgive me if this is a stupid question.. is the cone that locks up into slide seperate from the comp at the very end can be replaced(the comp)?

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

I havent looked at the barrel closely yet.. so forgive me if this is a stupid question.. is the cone that locks up into slide seperate from the comp at the very end can be replaced(the comp)?

It's all one piece, I have had thoughts of cutting off the cone and reusing it with a bull barrel style, but it would almost be more trouble than making a new cone comp.  Eric Gruaffel sells the Tanfoglio factory three port comp which gives you a lot more to work with:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.thumb.JPG.14870d2ca10a87e322cc3dfc49f19096.JPGIMG_1906_zpsv2d93mej.thumb.JPG.3c23ad785cd095cfe795decdf18ee438.JPG

I have the desire to shoot 9mm with the frame. 38 is still going to be my primary. But anyway, do you guys think it would be worth while to get a comp that eric grauffel sells and a 6" threaded barrel and try to set that up? Suppose the barrel will drop in? Or should consider just get a conversion slide and 6 in threaded barrel and try another style of comp?

The barrel needs to be modified to fit though the front of the slide and fit at the breech face, but it's pretty straightforward.  Unfortunately the three-port factory comp Eric sells is the only other commercial available cone comp for a Tanfoglio, so if you want something better it has to be custom made.

There isn't really a reason to get another slide as you can convert your 38 to 9 with a simple barrel swap.  It's worth noting if you go the other way (38 barrel/9 slide) you can't use regular 38 super brass, only 38 super comp or TJ with a smaller rim.

The barrel needs to be modified to fit though the front of the slide and fit at the breech face, but it's pretty straightforward.  Unfortunately the three-port factory comp Eric sells is the only other commercial available cone comp for a Tanfoglio, so if you want something better it has to be custom made.

There isn't really a reason to get another slide as you can convert your 38 to 9 with a simple barrel swap.  It's worth noting if you go the other way (38 barrel/9 slide) you can't use regular 38 super brass, only 38 super comp or TJ with a smaller rim.
Can you elaborate more on what you mean by barrel swap? You referring to buying a 9mm barrel, and affix a cone comp to it(not by myself)?

2 hours ago, darthdively said:

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by barrel swap? You referring to buying a 9mm barrel, and affix a cone comp to it(not by myself)?

Yes, that's correct.  In the context of a Tanfoglio Open gun, the cone comp and barrel are one unit.

Yes, that's correct.  In the context of a Tanfoglio Open gun, the cone comp and barrel are one unit.
Thanks! That's something i'll def look into sometime. Too bad eaa doesnt sell replacement or converaion slides for these guns. :/

24 minutes ago, darthdively said:

Just out of curiousity, any of you 9mm guys be willing to send your 9mm second barrel to me so i can see if it drops in my 38 slide? I'll pay for shipping.

Thanks

What makes you think it wouldn't drop in?  Where would you expect interference?

What makes you think it wouldn't drop in?  Where would you expect interference?
Oh, simply because i dont know :) it seems to be the same and i trust 95% that it prob would be just fine. But with my luck lately i'd like to verify before i consider spending the money on a new barrel and comp and such.

Have you done it before? Were you successful? If so, no need for me to worry at all
:D

Thanks!

4 hours ago, darthdively said:

Oh, simply because i dont know :) it seems to be the same and i trust 95% that it prob would be just fine. But with my luck lately i'd like to verify before i consider spending the money on a new barrel and comp and such.

Have you done it before? Were you successful? If so, no need for me to worry at all
:D

Thanks!

I used the "factory ammo only" barrel from a 38 super Gold Team in a 9mm Stock II slide to make this one:

_20160120_000138_zps2ubimder.thumb.jpg.b9cc99064f99dfda49cd699057077fb5.jpg

And a factory 6" 9mm barrel and 3-port comp to make this one:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.thumb.jpg.8bf2d762fb7a9d6239e9e296e9b6221a.jpg

Here's a thread with some details: 

unfortunately the pictures are missing, so here's a picture of the material to remove on the 6" barrel:

IMG_5125_zps8e22bc95.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 3 weeks later...

I still havent drilled into my factory barrel comp yet. If i chicken out, how easy is it to remove my current comp and replace with 3 port one from eric grauffel shop? Would i be saving myself time and effort by going that route? Prob just going to drill with a couple popple holes with a drill press. Save myself from doing serious milling. Not trying to clone my V12 barrell

I've never tried to remove the factory comp, but I imagine it could be done if you get it hot enough to melt whatever they use to hold it on, but the distance between the end of the slide and the beginning of the first port is shorter on the three port comp than on the two port comp, so you would need to trim the barrel a little and might need to thread further down the length.