Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading mag hand placement - Bullets Out

SlvrDragon50

I've seen plenty of videos showing how you should be indexing your hand on mags with your index finger on the front spine of the mag, but this feels incredibly unnatural to me (and slow) with a bullets out configuration. Should I be altering my hand positioning technique when I use a bullets out configuration? Or does this hand placement even matter much? I can get pretty fast reloads with a drastically different hand placement, but I don't know if there will be a ceiling for how fast I can get (AKA, if all pros are using this same hand placement, I will assume it's the only way to properly reload and train myself otherwise).

I've considered switching to bullets forward since I notice that's how my hand naturally grabs the mags from the pouches.

Index finger on spine and bullets out feels Very Natural to me ...   I can't imagine reloading

any other way.

If it didn't feel natural, I'd measure how long my reloads are , and if I was satisfied with the speed,

I'd keep doing what I've been doing.

You say you can get "pretty fast reloads" - how fast are they?   Happy with them?

If you are NOT happy with them, it would be worth spending a half hour dry fire session on the

"new" technique and see if you speed up a bit.    :)

I'd go for "tip of index finger on the bullet" whichever way the mags are placed on the belt. That is for getting the mag into the gun consistently.

Bullets out might make me think of gripping the mag with "thumb on the side of the magazine". Still, finger on the bullet.

I wonder if perhaps my mag pouches are simply too close together. I also have a wrist injury (shooting weak hand for one stage will give me pain the rest of the day). My reloads I feel are pretty fast, but I haven't timed them yet, and they're static too. 

Figure out your times and get back to us. 1.1-1.2 reload is as fast as you “need” to make production GM. If you’re slower than that in live fire, post some video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk