Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major Barrel losing velocity? Barrel Shot?

Jimboslice

I'll try to get this as complete and concise as possible since I couldn't really find a whole lot while searching,  so here we go I currently have 2 CK 9mm open guns (1 Hardcore (main gun, 12-14k rnds) , 1 Thunder (Backup, 3-4k rnds.)) and I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my main gun making PF.

A little back story...I just got back from A3 and I barely made major (165 even) with my main gun but made it just fine (172) with my backup and the same ammo (guy on my squad was having gun troubles). I shot this same batch of ammo (loaded it all this winter ) at A1 and made major easily there (174) in march.  So I got back home last week, took my chrono out,  and shot a random mix of the ammo I had left from A3 through both of my guns, thinking that their chrono was slow or that the humidity had some effect on things (aka trying to find excuses),  and pretty much got the same results that I did from A3. So being frustrated with those results I went home and loaded some hotter rounds (7.4 & 7.6),  than what I normally load (1.165" OAL,  7.2gr Win 572, 124gr MG JHP, WSP, mixed brass), and came back with pretty negligible increases in velocity. I still have yet to try a different lot of powder or primers to see if that's the case but I plan on doing that this week.

Is it possible that the reason that it's doing all of this is because my barrel is shot out? I forgot to check accuracy but I plan to do that as well this week.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Jimboslice
more concise title

If the bbl is shot out in 12-14k's rounds that speaks very poorly of Win 572.

The MG bullets are not a variable with bbl wear.  I along with 1000's of other guys have 40-80+k of MG's down bbl's with no appreciable loss in velocity.

Check the throat of your bbl. . i.e. where the rifling starts in front of the chamber and let us know how it looks.  Is the rifling sharp there or is it eroded away.

Be honest I'm very surprised your bbl is slowing down with only 12 to 14 k through it

Edited by jcc7x7

Hello: Clean your barrel and look at the throat area to see if it looks out of round. Measure the Montana Gold bullets to see if they are on size. Win 572 is a hot powder from what I have seen around here in 38SC and 9mm. Certain barrel companies are known to have good and bad quality barrels come out of there doors. You may have a bad one? Thanks, Eric

TL;DR   The average velocity between the 2 guns there was an approx. difference of 2.3%. Is that enough to be worried about? I was in a rush and forgot to take a target out so I didn't check accuracy.

Full story:

When I got home yesterday I pulled both of my guns apart and compared the barrels. From what I can tell on my main gun there is maybe 1 rifling "lug" that looks a little eroded compared to the others. I also grabbed a loaded round and tried it in each barrel to see if I could feel any differences in the chamber between the two. I found that on the problem gun, the chamber was a tad longer in comparison to the top of the barrel lug (~0.020") and had more play on the sides than the other gun. After I did all of that, I cleaned both barrels up, and tightened the comp on the problem gun (noticed it had about 3° of rotational movement). I shot 3 rounds out of each gun of 147gr. AA factory ammo and some 124 PDs that I loaded to the same charge and OAL. 

Below is the table of the shots:

124 PD, 7.4 grn 572, 1.165" OAL
  Backup Gun Main Gun
  FPS PF FPS PF
  1390 172 1348 167
  1402 173 1370 169
  1400 173 1373 170
sum 4192   4091  
avg 1397.333   1363.667  
velocity difference 33.66667    
% difference   2.41%    

147gr. Atlanta Arms 9major