Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rust and Steel Grips

sstephns

Any good tricks for removing rust from steel grips and MSH checkering? Shooting a black CK with a steel grip, MSH is getting a good bit in the checkering and the grip is starting to get it in the crevices of the pattern. 

Word of advice. Take the MSH apart all the way and see if it's full of rust. Mine was so bad it caused the gun to not cycle at all. I went back to plastic grips on my open guns.

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

Word of advice. Take the MSH apart all the way and see if it's full of rust. Mine was so bad it caused the gun to not cycle at all. I went back to plastic grips on my open guns.

I actually forgot how much I like a plastic grip and especially one that is been stippled.  

9 hours ago, sstephns said:

Any good tricks for removing rust from steel grips and MSH checkering? Shooting a black CK with a steel grip, MSH is getting a good bit in the checkering and the grip is starting to get it in the crevices of the pattern. 

One of my SV carry guns was rusting through the PVC coating  on the grip, just like you describe.  I coated in really well in oil, brushed it will a hard bristle brush and then made sure to wipe it off weekly with a silicon rag.  Solved the issue.