Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping list for 5lb trigger pull (with no malfunction)

bob8x

Hello guys, I'm going to re-tune my gun...
After polishing with the guide from MenphisMechanic I want now to replace the hammer spring with a lighter one to achive 5lb trigger pull...

Since I read a lot of failure on igniting primer and some spring I have bought are longer or shorter ( sadly my gun store has more experience on cz).

I want to ask you if you can give me a shopping list  ( with weight,length and brand) to achive the 5 trigger pull with no failure/malfunctions.

If necessary guide rod ( is mine good enough? I have in mind the extreme version but not sure if worth), hammer and  firing pin can be included too!

For parts avaibility keep in mind that I have last stock3 model and I live in Italy but I have some co-worker that is going to america soon.

Thank you!

guide rod.jpg

Do you need to keep your gun IPSC legal? I would assume so. USPSA permits aftermarket internals and extensive polishing, IPSC does not.

What kind of ammunition are you going to be running? The American brand Federal makes the softest primers in the world, and a 5 pound trigger is easy to achieve if that is all you want to shoot. Other brands of primer (fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot, all the Russian Tula brand) are much harder to detonate and require heavier springs. Which means a heavier trigger pull.

The EGD Extreme guide rod should be considered a mandatory upgrade.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Do you need to keep your gun IPSC legal? I would assume so. USPSA permits aftermarket internals and extensive polishing, IPSC does not.

What kind of ammunition are you going to be running? The American brand Federal makes the softest primers in the world, and a 5 pound trigger is easy to achieve if that is all you want to shoot. Other brands of primer (fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot, all the Russian Tula brand) are much harder to detonate and require heavier springs. Which means a heavier trigger pull.

The EGD Extreme guide rod should be considered a mandatory upgrade.

Why a mandatory upgrade? Why EGD over henning? I actually have both.

Yes I am going to shoot in  ipsc production ( the exam is 29 this month ).

Atm I am reloading with a Dillon 550, 147 grn lead and fiocchi primer for training, while for matches I'll  use cci, as Chrono with fiocchi primer are too different( bullet is to be chosen).

The fact is that fiocchi primer are waay cheaper than cci! 

14 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

Ah. I've got no idea of the IPSC rules. Guess the guiderod has to be OEM?

Correct. He doesn't get to use any Patriot or Henning parts, not even springs. The reason the Xteme line of pistols exists is because of IPSC rules. They are factory guns, so that makes the Xtreme parts legal to be run in any Tanfo.

You cannot even polish the internals in IPSC. Conveniently enough, all the Xtreme internals are already silver so it's much more difficult to tell if just maybe a little bit of smoothing was performed. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Egd, guide rod, 1 piece sear, titan hammer, "light" hammer spring, "light" firing pin return spring, extreme plunger assembly.

Extreme firing pin should already be in the gun.

Without polishing, you will have trouble reaching below 6# da.  the holes in the frame for the hammer spring and trigger bar plunger need to be polished mirror bright as does the firing pin channel in the slide.

Excuse me, but what are the advantage of 1 piece sear vs standard polished sear? 
The titan hammer is "just the hammer", I also need to buy the extreme disconnector? ( what are the difference between extreme and standard?)
While for the firing pin, is the standard pin safety  fine or I need to by the extreme version and file it? 

Right now I'm oriented towards extreme guide rod, light hammer spring, light firing pin spring, titan hammer.
the extreme plunger is that good? IMHO a oiled and polished standard one is the same, maybe just the spring is different...

Thanks to all!

On 7/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, johnbu said:

Egd, guide rod, 1 piece sear, titan hammer, "light" hammer spring, "light" firing pin return spring, extreme plunger assembly.

Extreme firing pin should already be in the gun.

Without polishing, you will have trouble reaching below 6# da.  the holes in the frame for the hammer spring and trigger bar plunger need to be polished mirror bright as does the firing pin channel in the slide.

John-

What do you use to polish the hs and fps channels ?

From the factory, you should have the extreme disconnector and extreme firing pin.  

If you have a 1 piece sear (it won't be polished), no need to replace.

Extreme internal parts have a hard chrome finish that is slicker than the black finish.

1 hour ago, Jeff O said:

John-

I use small caliber cleaning patches and a drill to spin them. Small holes, like in the sear or plunger head, i use q-tips spun by a drill. 

For the firing pin channel,  you need to remove the extractor as it protrudes into the channel.

Blue magic is the best compound,  mothers is another that's pretty good.

Edited by johnbu

51 minutes ago, johnbu said:

From the factory, you should have the extreme disconnector and extreme firing pin.  

Maybe they are the same for shapes  and materialI , but I do not have them, I asked  to Customer Assistance too ( I also needed to be sure about the dimensions of my  frame ).

I'm out of home for 3 days so I can't check my gun, but I should have a 2 piece sear. 

Keep in mind that the photo was taken pre-polish: my 2nd or 3rd time that I went shooting, the first time I used grease and that day I learned to shoot lying down in a sandy environment, After that the gun was mirror cleaned, no harm in any way x.

I used 1500 or 2000 sand paper soaked with polish (if I rembember correctly). 
I used autosol polish, living in europe the most mentioned polish cost a lot or I spend more in shipping than the product itself..

20170422_185617.jpg