Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Smoke & Hope "off-eye"

RickT

I've recently had to star shooting with my non-dominant left eye, keeping my right eye closed.  I'd like to hear from some folks who shoot with their off-eye.  I had previously always shot this left to right, but Smoke & Hope is so wide and so fast (even for a really old guy) that I found I'm not acquiring plates 3&4 soon enough.  Anyone else experience this or something similar?  I'm also going to experiment with other stages that lend themselves to shooting in either direction, Roundabout comes to mind.

I thought I would add a few more observations in case someone stumbles onto this thread:

The eye's visual field only extends 60 degrees or so inward (toward the nose).  Its actually much worse than that with glasses and you only have a small portion of the visual field with good acuity.  So with monocular vision when you center on target 1 with the left eye you really can't see 3 or 4 until you're on 2 at which point you're moving pretty fast, even us very old guys.  In contrast shooting right to left target 1 is 66 degrees from target 4 and the outward field of vision is at least 95 degrees. 

I'm also finding that on left-to-right transitions if my hips lag a bit the tension in my hands will tend to rotate the sights to my right eye.  Right-to-left presents no such problem.  I expect this to resolve as I retrain/adapt my muscle memory, but I shot both Roundabout and Pendulum well today going right-to-left for the first time.  I've spent more time thinking about mechanics in the last several weeks than in the last 12 months.  It's an interesting journey

A suggestion if its the width that's the problem... Rather than going all in one direction, split it in half by starting with plate 3 to 4, swing hard left and go 1-stop like such:  

Edited by jkrispies

Not a bad idea.  My inclination would be 4-3-1-2-S.  I've had to adopt a pretty open stance to help getting things lined up.  I index on the stop plate and open up my right foot a bit to make the draw easier on 4.  Since I'm indexed on the stop plate I can make the turn to 1.

Similar approch to Speed Option.  Using my right eye I would index on 4 and had no trouble making the turn to 1 (4-3-1-2-S), but using my left eye I index on 3 which makes getting around to 1 much easier.  

The best thing about all this is an increase in focus on mechanics.  My draw is no as good as it was with right eye and will be better.  I've learned the natural POA shooting right handed/right eye doesn't apply now and my support hand engagement is much better than previous.  I've also switch to Pachmayr grips which provides more room for my support hand.  It's been an interesting process, albeit frustrating at times.  I tried every color lens (almost) available for my Rydons to try to get enough contrast, but fuzz is as fuzz does. 

2 hours ago, RickT said:

Not a bad idea.  My inclination would be 4-3-1-2-S.  I've had to adopt a pretty open stance to help getting things lined up.  I index on the stop plate and open up my right foot a bit to make the draw easier on 4.  Since I'm indexed on the stop plate I can make the turn to 1   

If you're rimfire, the one I suggested is better off the cone, but since you're coming out of the holster, you're order starting with 4 may be better UNLESS you really need to do the left to right order to pick up the plates better in your peripheral vision.  Play with them both and see which is more comfortable.  I think you answered your own question! 

Edited by jkrispies

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, RickT said:

Not a bad idea.  My inclination would be 4-3-1-2-S.  I've had to adopt a pretty open stance to help getting things lined up.  I index on the stop plate and open up my right foot a bit to make the draw easier on 4.  Since I'm indexed on the stop plate I can make the turn to 1.

Similar approch to Speed Option.  Using my right eye I would index on 4 and had no trouble making the turn to 1 (4-3-1-2-S), but using my left eye I index on 3 which makes getting around to 1 much easier.  

The best thing about all this is an increase in focus on mechanics.  My draw is no as good as it was with right eye and will be better.  I've learned the natural POA shooting right handed/right eye doesn't apply now and my support hand engagement is much better than previous.  I've also switch to Pachmayr grips which provides more room for my support hand.  It's been an interesting process, albeit frustrating at times.  I tried every color lens (almost) available for my Rydons to try to get enough contrast, but fuzz is as fuzz does. 

I used to shoot it 4-3-1-2-S exclusively but lately have been experimenting with 1-2-3-4-S with some guns at some events.