Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bergara B14 HMR accuracy question

Dutchman195

Question for everyone as I am a solely a pistol shooter, but looking to buy the B14 HMR http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/07/daniel-zimmerman/bergara-b14-hmr-hunting-match-rifle-in-6-5-creedmoor-gun-review/

TL:DR

I then shot a 400-yard target reduced for 25 yards. Firing Federal ammo with a 100-yard zero at 400 yard equivalent, the rifle delivered 2.5 inches at 250 yards, 10.00 inches at 500 yards and 13.75 inches at 600 yards. (That was a far as I could shoot that day due to rangeconditions.)

Reading the guys review of the rifle I'm missing something when he says the gun shot a 2.5MOA at 250yds, but then goes on to say 10MOA at 500 yards. 

Fully understand, I have literally no idea what i'm talking about, but my primitive research on MOA tells me 2.5MOA at 250 = 1MOA at 100 yds. So then at 500yds it should be 5MOA right?

How can the gun go from a 2.5in group at 250 yards to a 10in group at 500 yards? He gives the gun 5 stars for accuracy but In my mind a 10 in group at 500 yards is pretty horrible

Edited by Dutchman195

so does the guy reviewing the gun suck at shooting? Because 10 inches at 500 is horrible compared to everything else I have read about this particular gun. 

2.5in at 250
10inch at 500

13.7 inches at 600

Thats like what I would shoot with a pistol at the same distance ha. (joking)

Well seems like you need a  little push.  Just buy the damn thing cause they shoot.  My 6.5 Creed running factory Hornady 140 gr ELD MATCH.  I have spent way more money on custom rifles that didnt shoot factory ammo this good.

Six shots at 100 covered by a dime which is which is 0.705

IMG_20170507_195814288.jpg

IMG_20170507_195446862.jpg

On 7/13/2017 at 10:40 PM, crossgun said:

Well seems like you need a  little push.  Just buy the damn thing cause they shoot.  My 6.5 Creed running factory Hornady 140 gr ELD MATCH.  I have spent way more money on custom rifles that didnt shoot factory ammo this good.

Six shots at 100 covered by a dime which is which is 0.705

Do you have a Harvester on it? I was planning on putting my Specwar 7.62 on it, if I pick it up. 

I will caution you with the brand.... I'm sure there are lots of good ones out there. However, I purchased and sold a bmp after a trip back to the warranty shop due to Accuracy issues and extraction issues.

The actions are smooth and the stock was really nice but aesthetics only go so far.. 

The service was slow but friendly. They had the gun for almost a month after I sent it back after quoting me a 1 week turn around. They did fix the extraction issue. It's also worth noting that this was the first gun I've ever had to send back for warranty work, and it's safe to say I'm not new to the "hobby". So that put a bad taste in my mouth from the get go....

I tried multiple brands, and weights  of quality factory match ammo in the gun before and after its trip back to the warranty center. No matter what I did I could not get the gun to perform on the level (accuracy wise) of my existing bolt guns. 

At at the end of the day they blamed the issues on a burr and a dirty barrel. I couldn't get the gun to shoot half as well as my savage 10,11 and 12.  If I worked my ass off it would barely hold 1" at 100 (3shot). Now, they claim "sub Moa" and I could do it occasionally. So I guess they meet their claim.  

*Its also worth noting that they sent me a "test" target along with my rifle when it was returned. No matter what I did,  I could not get it to repeat that performance with any ammo. Even though I could duplicate the level of accuracy with other rifles. 

If you watch all the reviews, pictures and videos you will notice that they almost always have flyers. In my experience those weren't flyers, they were just a typical group and was to be expected from the gun.  

So, I came to the realization that I simply expected far to much from the gun due to the cost being so much more than any bolt gun I had ever purchased. So I chose to sell it off and stick with a brand I've had great results from. 

I will also mention that the brands "fans" are extremely overbearing and if you have anything negative to say, things tend to escalate quickly. So I tried to be as polite as straight forward as possible with my response. 

Edited by bpipe95

This post was about the HMR so I replied accordingly.  Funny thing is that after buying my HMR I was so happy with it that I bought the BMP as well.  It would appear to shoot better than yours.  Easily 1 MOA but not as good as my HMR.  The trigger it came with SUCKED!  HEAVY, I assumed it was just set heavy at the factory but wasn't the case after getting inside.  I called and sent them a pic of the barreled action hanging from my trigger scale having yet to fire.  They did get me a replacement which I have yet to try seeing I put a Jewel in it.

What was up with the extraction issue?  I am seeing it from time to time with my BMP as well.

5 hours ago, crossgun said:

This post was about the HMR so I replied accordingly.  Funny thing is that after buying my HMR I was so happy with it that I bought the BMP as well.  It would appear to shoot better than yours.  Easily 1 MOA but not as good as my HMR.  The trigger it came with SUCKED!  HEAVY, I assumed it was just set heavy at the factory but wasn't the case after getting inside.  I called and sent them a pic of the barreled action hanging from my trigger scale having yet to fire.  They did get me a replacement which I have yet to try seeing I put a Jewel in it.

What was up with the extraction issue?  I am seeing it from time to time with my BMP as well.

I hesitated on my response due to the op asking about an HMR, but I figured since the actions are the same it was worth sharing. 

The warranty slip returned with the gun said "adjusted extractor tension". 

My BMP trigger was a bit of a let down as well but it was the least of my worries.