Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-profile ejector

echase1

15 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

Can't really help you there, but all the ejectors I've used had to be modified. The best solution for mine was to just put a small wad of paper behind the spring.

That's the extractor. No spring involved with the ejector.

30 minutes ago, echase1 said:

Can someone explain the process of properly doing a Re-profile of the ejector on a Stock 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What caliber? What specific issue are you having? (Light 9 or .40 won't eject and you get jams, or you're shooting a hot .40 and casings end up two zip codes to your right?)

Factory ammo or light power-factor reloads?

What weight is the recoil spring in your gun... see where I'm going with this? ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

28 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That's the extractor. No spring involved with the ejector.

What caliber? What specific issue are you having? (Light 9 or .40 won't eject and you get jams, or you're shooting a hot .40 and casings end up two zip codes to your right?)

Factory ammo or light power-factor reloads?

What weight is the recoil spring in your gun... see where I'm going with this? ;) 

Sorry, brain fart. 

8 hours ago, echase1 said:

135 blue bullet. 1.13 oal. About 132 pf

Unrelated topic:

Do those fit in an unreamed barrel, or did you have the chamber lengthened?

I've heard blue bullets are good for loading long, but plunk and spin on a 135 at that length would be REALLY impressive with an unmodified barrel!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Unrelated topic:

Do those fit in an unreamed barrel, or did you have the chamber lengthened?

I've heard blue bullets are good for loading long, but plunk and spin on a 135 at that length would be REALLY impressive with an unmodified barrel!

Unmodified barrel... I don't know if they plunk and spin or not... I chamber check in a hundo and the gun runs fine with that load

Definitely plunk and spin. Overly long ammo could somehow be contributing to your issue, and will usually cause relialbity issues in other ways, but I've seen stranger things. No matter what, shoving the bullet into the rifling with the slide as it cycles is less than ideal. It won't chamber as consistently as ammo that drops in freely.

Let us know if you had to shorten the load to be able to drop it into the barrel and have it spin freely, and what your max OAL turned out to be.

Definitely plunk and spin. Overly long ammo could somehow be contributing to your issue, and will usually cause relialbity issues in other ways, but I've seen stranger things. No matter what, shoving the bullet into the rifling with the slide as it cycles is less than ideal. It won't chamber as consistently as ammo that drops in freely.

Let us know if you had to shorten the load to be able to drop it into the barrel and have it spin freely, and what your max OAL turned out to be.

Just checked...That load will plunk and spin in both of my Unmodified Stock 2 barrels.

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

More details on your load or which brand of ammo, please. I have yet to hear of someone adjusting the ejector in a 9.

Two of mine were re-profiled by a professional gunsmith. Heated and bent in and up a little, with post-reprofiling filing down of high spots.

Ammo is/was a factory ammo, 115 to 124 to 147 gr Federal or Lawman. The symptom was not just a faulty ejection but a faulty ejection with a spent brass extracted and held completely in line with the chamber. Meaning that the ejector was completely missed by that brass. Recoil springs tried from 9 to 12 lbs. The chambers had been reamed and extractors tuned for a higher tension. Reprofiling helped to reduce the frequency to " not a lot" on gun #2 but did not completely alleviate it. Replacing the extractor with a new unmodified one sprung with Wolff extra spring took "not a lot" to 0 over last 1000 rounds. Gun # 1 is still in process of further testing.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2017 at 11:21 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

And while you're ordering springs, I'd convert the gun to the extra-power extractor spring if I were you. I'd say it made a huge difference in my gun, but I installed all the aftermarket goodies at once after just 100 or so rounds through the gun.

I just ran into this issue three times this weekend at a local match after probably 3-4K rounds through my Stock 2. I guess that makes me wonder how often I need to be replacing springs like this one.

I'll be ordering some tonight. I'm shooting area 8 in a few weeks and this hangup really bothered me. Definitely killed my standings trying to clear the issue.