Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small primer 45 cap?

twister

I haven't seen any performance difference in shooting SPP 45s. Identical load data produces identical results. 

Just really dumb that they even make it, but thats an argument for a different day. Stay away from them because if I accidentally pick up your brass and its a small pistol, I will cruse your name the entire time I'm screwing with it on my machine. On the flip side, if your gonna shoot a loose your brass match, I'll load all my SPP and leave it to be someone elses problem.

Is there a big difference between the two assuming the same powder load? Starting to load 45 and naturally brass is about half and half. Would be nice to not have to change loads if only a very slight velocity difference.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Dutchman195 said:

On the flip side, if your gonna shoot a loose your brass match, I'll load all my SPP and leave it to be someone elses problem.

I do the same thing, LOL.

Some people claim a loss of 1 or 2 PF when using small primers. In my personal testing, the difference between Large and Small Primer velocity-wise is almost negligible. The only irritating thing is keeping them separate when you are making loads. I honestly can't get enough of them though.

Edited by himurax13

Put a WTB in the classifieds for small primer .45 brass.  I've bought some from that approach and it was probably once fired as it was all the same brand and was said to have come from a police range.  Be sure and ask if it is crimped as one batch I got was Federal and stamped NT where the other batch was Federal without the crimped primers.

1 hour ago, himurax13 said:

I do the same thing, LOL.

Some people claim a loss of 1 or 2 PF when using small primers. In my personal testing, the difference between Large and Small Primer velocity-wise is almost negligible. The only irritating thing is keeping them separate when you are making loads. I honestly can't get enough of them though.

Once a year I'll load about 300 SPP peices of brass then back to 45. 

I've got quite a few pieces of small primer pocket .45 brass. I think 1k+ with the vast majority of it being brand new unfired RWS brass. I can get a good count on it over the weekend if there's any interest.

Not even really concerned about velocity, will load to 170pf or so and won't be using it in big matches with a Chrono. More worried about pressure issues, but sounds like a non problem.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, js1130146 said:

I've got quite a few pieces of small primer pocket .45 brass. I think 1k+ with the vast majority of it being brand new unfired RWS brass. I can get a good count on it over the weekend if there's any interest.

I could use a few hundred or more. Don't care about the headstamp.