Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring Procedure

TaterHead

On 6/29/2017 at 10:23 PM, Sarge said:

A-friggin-men! I was taught to always AT LEAST check that the timer is picking up shots out of the gate AND to hold he timer so I can mentally capture the timer picking up the last shot fired. You must make sure the timer is working initially and you have to make sure the timer doesn't get bumped or pick up a shot from the next bay etc. 

There are a bunch of RO's that don't do these steps because they have it ingrained to never take your eyes off the gun. That's nuts! I watch the gun when it needs watching and I also look for no shoot hits, mikes over the shoulder etc. Generally if a shooter is just pulling the trigger I tend to focus less on the gun. But once reloading, moving, jams, etc come into play, I'm all about the gun.

I tried this approach in a steel match last night.  Since there is no running I figured it was safe to try.  It works.  However, I didn't do it consistently because I have 'watch the gun' ingrained.  I was taught the RO running the timer (among several other things) never takes his eyes off the gun, and peripherally watches the targets being engaged (for failure to engage, misses, etc.).  He is also responsible to count shots on Virginia Count stages.  It is the scoring RO's job to watch for foot faults and the like.  If there is a third RO, he stands to the weak hand side and observes.  Since we mostly have four or more ROs in a squad, that is not a problem.

That being said, I see there is a need for the timer RO to do more, especially in Level 1.  Thanks to Sarge and moto for pointing that out.

40 minutes ago, zzt said:

I was taught the RO running the timer (among several other things) never takes his eyes off the gun, and peripherally watches the targets being engaged (for failure to engage, misses, etc.).  

if you can peripherally watch targets, you can peripherally watch the gun. ;)