Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handgun Fit

So this is a very beginner question but something I have been thinking about for a while.  How much does handgun fit relate to the performance of the shooter? 

I starting shooting 1911s in competition, then switched to M&Ps, then switched back to 1911s, then to DA/SAs as I honestly just love learning about different platforms.  That said, I have shot my best times and groups hands down with M&Ps regardless of times spent practicing with various platforms.  I have spent the most time with 1911s but my M&P performance still wins the day.  As a beginner trying to get better, should I just stop trying to square peg a round hole and commit to the M&P platform so I can start dedicated training and begin shaving 1/10ths of seconds off my skills time?  

I am leaning that way but I love the idea of shooting with the other platforms. I don't know why I keep going back to them but I do.  As I get older however, I want to stop wasting my time with a lot of pistols and focus on one pistol and division.  Is going with what I naturally shoot best the logical choice or going with something I like the idea of shooting better even if it doesn't come as naturally for me?

Thanks in advance! 

8 hours ago, johnhhuber said:

I have shot my best with M&Ps  

I want to focus on one pistol and division.  

go with what I shoot best the or go with something I like the idea of shooting better?

Depends on your goals:

Do you want to shoot your best?  Place high?    -   Go with M&P

Want to enjoy shooting?   Go with 1911.

:) 

John - As a firearms instructor, I run into this ALL of the time.  I also feel that Memphis & Jack are correct.  Firearms are more personal than most people give them credit for.  Most have a "fit and feel" that some work better for certain people than others.  A bunch of times I get newer shooters that went out and bought a certain firearm because their buddies told them to or that "it was the best" and then they find out that the fit and feel is all wrong to them.  It doesn't mean that the firearm is bad or that they hate it, but they hate it "for them".

My point is...if you want to be your best at your shooting, you find the firearm that fits you the best and that you work the best with and that is what you go with.  You will improve much more with that firearm because you are comfortable with it and it works with you and your mechanics better.  Can you learn to shoot others?  Of course you can, but does that mean you will ever as good as with one that naturally fits and works with your mechanics best?  Maybe.  I can't say no, but I can't say yes for sure either.  Some are naturals and can pick up practically anything and within a mag or two, they adjust very well to the fit and feel of that firearm.  I am lucky enough to be like that and shoot most any firearm fairly well.  I'm not trying to brag or be a smartarse.  Just being honest.  Of course there are MUCH better shooters out there that aren't as natural as I am with any firearm, but ones that fit them better and they can whip my arse.  LOL!

So, there is nothing wrong with changing platforms and trying other firearms to have fun and enjoy it for plinking or what not, as Jack mentioned, however, if you are or want to be serious about your competing and climb the later and shave time off of your runs, then you will need to stick with what you naturally work better with (obviously it is the M&P series) and go with that.  It may not be what you "thought" or "wanted" to be your naturally fitting firearm, but that is what apparently works better for you at this point.  That can change later too.  It isn't like this is set in stone or something.

So, basically I have written a bunch for good advice you have basically been given, but I thought I would give my two cents of experience that I see most often. :) 

Thanks for the input.  I have decided to go with the M&P platform and to try and be as competitive as I can be.  Long term, I would much rather be a great shooter with an average gun than an average shooter with a great gun.  Wish I had figured that out a few thousand dollars ago!