Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about my first state match

mwenger

So I am thinking about shooting my first state match in a few months but I have a few questions first.  I am thinking about shooting ccp, but have never shot a classifier.  My last classifier was SS in ESP last september.  I went on IDPA's website today and it tells me that I am CCP MM as of this march.  I am trying to understand if that's a mistake because I haven't shot a classifier of any kind since last september.  

Also, I know a while back I heard people talking about needing points that you accumulate from shooting sanctioned matches.  Do you need a point to shoot a state match or is that more like tier 4-5 stuff?

I'm just trying to figure out the right thing to do because I know I am probably closer to a high sharpshooter or low expert in CCP so I feel like I'm being dishonest going in there with marksman.   

To shoot the match in ccp division, you'll need to shoot a classifier before the match since you haven't shot a ccp classifier (or shot ccp in another sanctioned match) within a year of shooting the state match.    The mm ranking is from the equity promotion where you can't be ranked lower than one step from your highest ranking.   If the state match is before September and you can't shoot a ccp classifier, you can shoot esp without shooting another classifier. 

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a state match that required points to shoot it.   Just needed to be an idpa member, signup, pay your fee, and make sure your classification is current.    The points are for getting into nationals, the more points you have accumulated the more priority you have for getting into nationals.    For the nationals you have to send in an application first and then get approved, if you don't make the first cut based on points, your name goes into a lottery for the remaining spots.  HTH.

Here's a link to the rulebook, look up section 9 classification, I was trying to copy and paste, but the formatting came out funny:

http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/4sig5pxx.mr1.pdf

Edited by dee loo