Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 165 40

DavidShoots

You definitely don't want to go shorter than whatever load you're trying to duplicate and may want to load longer especially if you are loading near the top of the range. Most 40S&W loads are around 1.125" COAL and are often based on RNFP bullets. Depending on the bullet weight (heavier bullets tend to be longer), you may want to increase your COAL to avoid an overpressure situation. Pressure builds dramatically as the chamber volume decreases so keep in mind that bullet length has an impact on your chamber pressure and, therefore, may influence your COAL.

Many of us try to load as long as our chamber and / or mags can support. My M&P40fs mags are my limiting factor and restrict me to around 1.135" + / - using 165 gn RNFP bullets so that is where I target my COAL. My Tanfoglio Witness Match can take them longer but then I can't load those rounds in my M&P. Some folks load long up to 1.140" or more but you'd need to make sure there was enough bullet remaining inside the case to be properly supported.

It sounds as if you are just getting into this so take the advice offered by many and start your load charges low and work up. Use a manual or get the info from the powder manufacturer's website for whatever loads you are working up. If you haven't got a chrono, do not go for hot loads. As you are probably aware, 40S&W is a high pressure round and can ruin your day if you aren't careful.

Close to what? You need to do the plunk test to see what your barrel chamber will accept with your specific bullet. Also the mag length restrictions. The Minimum OAL from SAAMI is important to be aware of due to pressure issues.

• 1 month later...

If loading for a 1911/2011 try running the plunk test with a dummy round loaded at 1.180. I used to use 165s in my old 6" at 1.180. The gun didnt work reliably with factory length ammo but ran like a sewing machine at 1.18.

Edited by blaster113

Really depends on what gun your using. I load all my 165gr bullets at 1.200 OAL. All my 1911's and 2011's accept the long ammo. The CZ Tactical Sports I used to use for limited division wouldn't accept ammo loaded longer then 1.150 OAL because the magazine restricted you on the length of ammo you could use.