Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer spring weight shorten firing pin life?

What causes the 9mm firing pins to break? Is it the rapid forward and aft cycling of the bolt, interior geometry of the bolt, or the repeated impact of the hammer?

I'm leaning more toward the repeated hammer impacts and possible hammer spring weight.

If you have had a firing pin break, who was the manufacturer, and what trigger/hammer/spring setup do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hello: I have seen a couple of them break here now. I think it is the design of the firing pin along with the heat treatment and steel used. I have personally broke a JP and a Matrix and they were both replaced for free. I am thinking of making a spare out of tool steel and just heat treating the ends to see how it holds up. Both of mine broke near the center of the pin. Others I have seen have broken the tip section off. Thanks, Eric

Had a CMMG pin break after about 2000 rounds.  Hammer/spring setup was the full JP trigger kit (which I is great once you get it adjusted), yellow trigger/red hammer spring at the time of breakage.  Also was running an extended heavy buffer and XP buffer spring as well so excessive bolt travel was not the issue.  CMMG was totally cool replacing it; they sent me two new pins and two FP springs as well.  Wish someone would make a hardened steel firing pin. 

my opinion is that it is the angle at which the face of the hammer strikes the most exposed part of the firing pin.. that it, a firing pin with a round profile will be struck with the face of the hammer more perpendicular to the line of the firing pin travel, than will one with a square profile that will be struck with the hammer at less than 90 degrees to the length of the pin

Edited by Les Snyder

I've wondered why the back of the pcc firing pins are squared off. The standard firing pin is round.

Also, standard firing pins to not break as often as the pcc firing pins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...