Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Test results: Springs, hammer & disco, firing pins

Gun in question is a Stock 3. It tends to have pull weights a bit heavier than some of the guys in this forum are getting.

In full disclosure: All hammer springs used were brand new and we're supplied by @PatriotDefense for this set of tests.

For the following the gun is fitted with:

All PD internal springs. Titan. Bolo. Patriot heavy firing pin. 1pc sear.

10 lb PD hammer spring:

4/11 DA     2/4.5 SA    20.5" pencil launch

12 lb PD hammer spring:

5/4   DA     2/12  SA    22.0" pencil launch

13 lb PD hammer spring:

5/14 DA     3/2    SA    25.0" pencil launch

with factory firing pin:

"                "              22.5" pencil launch

14 lb PD hammer spring:

6/3   DA     3/2    SA    25.0" pencil launch

with factory firing pin:

"                 "              22.5" pencil launch

15.5  PD hammer spring:

6/14 DA     3/2    SA    26.5" pencil launch

EG Light hammer spring: (~13.8 lb.)

5/8   DA     2/9    SA    24.0" pencil launch

EG Med hammer spring: (~16.5 lb.)

8/4   DA     3/5    SA    31" pencil launch

Wolff 13 lb hammer spring:

6/8   DA     2/12  SA    23" pencil launch

Wolff 14 lb hammer spring:

6/13 DA     2/13  SA    24" pencil launch

Then I decided to set the gun up how I might have done two years ago, when most of the aftermarket internals weren't available:

PD 15.5lb spring, factory hammer & disco, "clicky pen" plunger spring:

5/1   DA     2/6    SA    29.5" pencil launch

Other interesting test results:

Replacing the plunger spring with a spring out of a clicky pen is a popular mod. It pulls about half a pound off the DA depending on hammer spring weight, but did result in a much less crisp trigger. Particularly during reset. It also allowed my hammer to fall at half-cock when the trigger was pulled, like a very short-stroked DA.

15.5lb PD spring with factory hammer and disco, instead of titan & BOLO resulted in 2.5" less pencil launch height. The Titan does indeed seem to hit a bit harder. Is it $112 worth of better? That's up to you to decide.

I've been running an EGW Medium spring for 2,000+ rounds now. It is 3/16" shorter than the brand new one used in these tests, and resulted in a DA trigger pull of 6/2. It's more than two pounds lighter.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I KNOW how much work that testing is and how frick'n tired of pulling parts you can get! Thanks for going the extra mile.

Fyi- i see very similar pencil launch heights. If anyone is seeing less, something needs attention!

22 hours ago, johnbu said:

I KNOW how much work that testing is and how frick'n tired of pulling parts you can get! Thanks for going the extra mile.

Fyi- i see very similar pencil launch heights. If anyone is seeing less, something needs attention!

Good to know that we're in the same ballpark.

Also, you're not kidding. Even when you can pull the gun down to a bare frame and have it back together in 5 minutes after a ton of repetitions? All that time testing launch heights and trigger weights adds up.

Yes, thanks so much for the info. I did round 2 of my trigger job, (thanks for the videos, helped a lot!). Also put the PD 15.5 spring in, ran 100 rounds with CCI primers DA. Every round went bang and they had a nice deep dimple from the firing pin strike. The trigger pull is now amazing for just a spring swap and a few hour polish job. Thank you so much again for the work on the videos and thank you to PD for the excellent barrel ream service and spring. 

I don't know the difference between it and a brand new Medium in launch height. I didn't test anything but brand new springs in order to help keep things equal. Given the massive difference in trigger pull and the spring being roughly 2 turns shorter, I am sure it's not going to throw things as high.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...

Well done.

I just did a trigger job on my new Stock II.

Baseline pulls (right out of the box) were: D.A. 8 lbs. 5 oz. and S.A. was 3 lbs. 12 oz. This was an average taken from 5 pulls.

After the trigger work: D.A, was 4 lbs. 13 oz. and S.A. was 2 lbs. 8 oz. Also, an average taken from 5 pulls.

Parts include: Titan hammer with 14 lb. hammer spring. BOLO interrupter. Extreme one piece sear. Reduced power trigger return and sear spring.

Although I haven't shot it yet do you think those are satisfactory numbers, and should I expect any problems.

Thanks, Mike. 

What primers are you using? How deep are they seated?

You should be ok with winchester seated 0.005 to 0.008 below flush.

Same with CCI, but they are slightly harder to pop in DA.

Assuming all rounds pass the plunk, thunk, spin and dump test.

And @MikieM ... if you have any problems with reliability at the range on your first test day? Slip the slide off and remove the firing pin block for the rest of your range trip.

If you have rounds go click instead of bang then you know it's a result of DA strike force versus primer seating & brand.

Once the gun has eaten several hundred reliable rounds and you know your ammo is perfectly reliable in it, reinstall the FPB and see if the gun is still 100%.

Some of us needed to fit our extended firing pin blocks with the Titan & 1pc sear combo... but most did not. 

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And @MikieM ... if you have any problems with reliability at the range on your first test day? Slip the slide off and remove the firing pin block for the rest of your range trip.

If you have rounds go click instead of bang then you know it's a result of DA strike force versus primer seating & brand.

Once the gun has eaten several hundred reliable rounds and you know your ammo is perfectly reliable in it, reinstall the FPB and see if the gun is still 100%.

Some of us needed to fit our extended firing pin blocks with the Titan & 1pc sear combo... but most did not. 

Will do. Thanks a lot.