Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM slide failing to lock back

ChemistShooter

The slide on my 9mm XDM 3.8 Full-size started failing to lock back a couple of months ago. I replaced the guide rod spring (the big spring under the barrel) with another guide assembly from Springfield but that had zero effect. Instead it just kept getting worse. Today it started jamming. The slide won't go back far enough for the brass to eject. You can only shoot one round at a time. Weirdly enough, it will successfully eject if there is one round in the gun and lock back about half the time.

I have about 12,000 rounds through the gun. I clean  it every time I shoot it. I have replaced the striker spring and striker safety spring but that was general maintenance. I don't see how that could be causing this problem.

Yeah, something is worn out and needs to be replaced, but I have no idea what. It's going into the shop but those guys never explain exactly what went wrong (plus taking eight weeks to get the gun back), and I imagine this is something simple for the experienced gun owners around here. I'd just like to have some idea what's wrong.

Haven't tested it with factory ammo. It shot thousands of rounds of my current load before developing this problem. And it's been gradually getting worse. I would expect a load problem to show up immediately.

The brass get kicked out 4-6 feet.

Magazine springs. Ok, now that's a real possibility. I have several magazines but have always been using the same magazine. I'll give it a shot with a different magazine.

• 1 year later...

Pull your mag springs out and give a them a little stretch for a temporary fix. You should have 3-4 coils easily exposed and 5 on longer capacity mags before trying to put baseplate back on. Also 4-6 feet ejection is pretty soft load. 8-10 closer to normal.