Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 300 Blackout on 650

I am getting my 650 set up to load for the 300 blackout and was shocked to see Dillon wants an arm and a leg for their die set in this caliber ($174). I have a set of RCBS dies for resizing and seating (no crimp) and a separate LFCD. I am running into issues with the sizing die body staying in place. I found I had to put the lock ring on the underside of the die plate on the press as I did not have enough room to grip the threads on the die on the top side of the die plate. By putting the lock ring on the underside of the die plate, I find the die body threads into the press further and further (nothing on top to hold it in place). Do others have this same issue? Looking for input, seems like a jimmy rigged system the way I have it. Are there other die brands that work better in the 650? 

it shouldn't be walking out like that. the lee lock rings have a rubber o-ring in them which does provide some traction against the toolhead. they may help (they are cheap alloy rings though). The other option is the hornady rings which clamp onto the die then you can really wang them up tight to the toolhead and if they do for some reason walk loose you won't have to re-adjust as the lock ring stays in place on the die body. 

I think just a little more elbow grease when you tighten them might solve it. 

This may be obvious but...  I don't understand how " I find the die body threads into the press further and further (nothing on top to hold it in place)"

The nut/lock ring on the bottom should work in the same fashion as it does on top by locking the die to the toolhead.  Are you holding the die stationary with a wrench while you're tightening the ring?

If so, than x2 on "I think just a little more elbow grease when you tighten them might solve it."