Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Cleaning Media

I have been cleaning pistol brass with a 50/50 mix of corn cob and walnut shell with a mix of 50/50 Nu Finish & environmentally friendly / odorless mineral spirits which I thought was doing a great job. Recently I cleaned some 223 for a friend and found some corn cob stuck in the casings after they were cleaned. The next batch I used 100% walnut as I knew it was small enough and wouldn't get stuck inside the cases. WOW, what a difference! Not only did it not get stuck inside it cleaned the casings at least as well in about half the time! I'm sure those of you that have been doing this a while already figured this out a long time ago but what a revelation for me. Now I am going 100% walnut with everything I clean...

Cheers!

Clean with plain walnut for a few hours, then polish with corn  thinned by nufinish. 

Sounds like you are using really big corn. The best is really fine and polishes the bejesus out of stuff!

34 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Clean with plain walnut for a few hours, then polish with corn  thinned by nufinish. 

Sounds like you are using really big corn. The best is really fine and polishes the bejesus out of stuff!

Thanks Top, I'll try to find some ground smaller. Couldn't find any so bought some in the pet isle of Walmart. I tried to crush it more prior to using but not so much...

Cheers!

I'll try Amazon for corn cob but found walnut at Harbor Freight. 25# for $23 of fine & 25# of course for $25. Which grind of walnut does a better job, fine or course?

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

The Harbor Freight fine ground walnut pours out of the cases better and it does a fine job, whichever you choose walnut is a bit dusty the first few batches. 

Zero supplies has 40 pound bags of Econoline corn cob blast media for $33.39 and free shipping on orders over $50.  The 20-40 grit doesn't get stuck in flash holes and falls out of the cases easy with a rotary media separator.   https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-526040g-40/i/G2165387/

I think I used the fine grit.

Here is a walnut trick I use.

i keep a small container of fresh walnut near the tumbler. After x number of cleanings I compare the new to what's in the tumbler. The new is really sharp and when the stuff doesn't feel sharp at all I switch it out.

I find most of the types of walnut and corn at local sandblasting shops, grainger, etc. buying 40-50 lb bags it's really cheap!

10 minutes ago, prestonj12 said:

My buddy just bought a stainless steel tumbler setup. I may never use walnut or corncob again! That thing is amazing. 2 hours, clean inside and out plus pristine, clean primer pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one last winter and switched back to good old walnut and corn for now. Sure they are clean inside where it makes very little difference but they tend to tarnish and not stay as bright and slick as dry tumbled with wax.

19 hours ago, Bamboo said:

The Harbor Freight fine ground walnut pours out of the cases better and it does a fine job, whichever you choose walnut is a bit dusty the first few batches. 

Zero supplies has 40 pound bags of Econoline corn cob blast media for $33.39 and free shipping on orders over $50.  The 20-40 grit doesn't get stuck in flash holes and falls out of the cases easy with a rotary media separator.   https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-526040g-40/i/G2165387/

This is an awesome site - thanks! They have both 14-20 & 20-40 grind for about $1/lb in 40# bags w/$5 shipping! Which grit between these two would do a better job?

Cheers!

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I bought one last winter and switched back to good old walnut and corn for now. Sure they are clean inside where it makes very little difference but they tend to tarnish and not stay as bright and slick as dry tumbled with wax.

Hey Top, did you see this from Bamboo?

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-526040g-40/i/G2165387/

An excellent site for corn media in 40# bags for about $1 bag including shipping! It's a company called Zoro, owned bt Grainger...

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-526040g-40/i/G2165387/

An excellent site for corn media in 40# bags for about $1 bag including shipping! It's a company called Zoro, owned bt Grainger...

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Yes, I have ordered from them as well as drillspot. If you check often, you can find free shipping deals. Still, if you have anything local it comes out cheaper still.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Yes, I have ordered from them as well as drillspot. If you check often, you can find free shipping deals. Still, if you have anything local it comes out cheaper still.

Checking local now, no issues with walnut, corn is difficult to find locally...

21 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think I used the fine grit.

Here is a walnut trick I use.

i keep a small container of fresh walnut near the tumbler. After x number of cleanings I compare the new to what's in the tumbler. The new is really sharp and when the stuff doesn't feel sharp at all I switch it out.

I find most of the types of walnut and corn at local sandblasting shops, grainger, etc. buying 40-50 lb bags it's really cheap!

Right. I'd guess that to be the 14/20 grind. I found some at a local Grainger I can pick up for $38!

Thanks for the tip. I spilled a little and when I knelt  on it I found out how sharp it was!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

On 12/14/2016 at 4:18 PM, Bamboo said:

I use this and it works great. +1 for a couple cap fulls of Nu-Finish. I normally start the tumbler, drizzle in the Nu-Finish and let run for about 15 minutes to mix it up and prevent clumps. Then drop in the brass.

9 hours ago, carlspeed said:

I use this and it works great. +1 for a couple cap fulls of Nu-Finish. I normally start the tumbler, drizzle in the Nu-Finish and let run for about 15 minutes to mix it up and prevent clumps. Then drop in the brass.

I can't remember who suggested it or I would give them the credit however it was suggested I mix the Nu Finish 50/50 with mineral spirits to help cut through the crud and it works like a champ! As a side note I do use the "green" (ecologically friendly) odorless mineral spirits, it looks like milk when you pour. Bought a gallon at Lowe's for about $10. I mix in in a Tupperware pitcher, swirl it around to mix it and pour a couple of caps full on each time I start a batch until the media become moist. I then keep checking the media as I clean successive batches and add more magic sauce as needed - presto pretty brass!

I may be a little biased (you'll understand when you read my signature line), but Lucas Oil Gun Metal Polish when mixed with corn cob does a great job at both removing any case lube and putting a final polish on loaded rounds.  It also does a great job at cleaning and polishing cases for loading (I use crushed walnut for that).  Shake up the bottle, add some to the media, and run it with no shells to distribute among the media before adding shells.

55 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

I may be a little biased (you'll understand when you read my signature line), but Lucas Oil Gun Metal Polish when mixed with corn cob does a great job at both removing any case lube and putting a final polish on loaded rounds.  It also does a great job at cleaning and polishing cases for loading (I use crushed walnut for that).  Shake up the bottle, add some to the media, and run it with no shells to distribute among the media before adding shells.

Thanks, I didn't know and I will have to check it out!