Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying a L-n-L powder measure on my Dillon 650

25 minutes ago, jester121 said:

One other suggestion, be sure to degrease all the parts and the innards of the hopper, I've heard Hornady say that's the #1 cause of setup problems with their gear. (People not following instructions.) 

That's absolutely true. In the direction it specifically says to degrease all parts thoroughly...then break the moving parts in. If you don't get all the grease off the moving parts won't wear in and the charge to charge variation won't be acceptable. I'm not sure I mentioned that once I did all this, it throws charges spot on every time. I think it throws fine grain or flake powers better than the Dillon. However the Dillon is superior with stick powder of almost any kind, small or large. I think it's the nature of the mechanisms. Rotary drum are better with one type of powder, sliding bar are better at another. 

I tend to use much more ball/flake so I'm liking the L-n-L a bit more...

20 minutes ago, AbitNutz said:

Rotary drum are better with one type of powder, sliding bar are better at another. 

I tend to use much more ball/flake so I'm liking the L-n-L a bit more...

I've never loaded with stick. Only the popular ball and flake powders.

So at some point soon I'll convert to the LnL measure and probably be happier too.

+2 and 3.

There's a Hornady video that describes how to degrease then dry lube the drop.  I treated mine as instructed, and I was getting great precision out of the gate.  

The only powder I have had an issue with is N320, which is a bit of a stick -- tiny barrels -- and N320 wants to bind a little when I'm cycling the drop by hand while setting charge weights.  Once the drop is set, stanard deviations aren't quite as good as with other powders, but still quite good.

Having just ordered a 1050 to replace my LNL I've very interested in this thread.  I use N320 exclusively and wouldn't hesitate to run a Hornady powder measure.  My one concern is the use of a PTX with the Hornady unit.  I don't like the PTX shortening the powder measure stroke, but I've loaded 100K rounds with one.  The drops with N320 are very accurate, but I'm getting a rare short drop the cause of which I've been unable to identify.

8 hours ago, RickT said:

I'm getting a rare short drop the cause of which I've been unable to identify.

I don't use N320, but two things I'd check:

- Be sure the powder throwing mechanism is adjusted so it's completing the full 100% of its operating motion, top to bottom. I've run into issues where it wasn't filling with powder each time, because the "refill" part of the stroke was mis-adjusted.

- Check the powder baffle to ensure it's aligned properly and letting a free flow of powder down into the bottom chamber.