Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot my first open gun

DASR4

I was one of the DVC experience guys, 500-1000 rds the slide cracked.... STI gave me a new gun.   A buddy got one that was cracked on these forums and the seller refused to refund him and made him deal with STI.   Not sure if STI has replaced his slide or gun yet.  I've heard of quite a few frames and slides cracking lately.... looks like STI might want to look into a different supplier.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Or get a PCC.

Same difference. 

Not even close.  Rifles are fairly easy, compared to pistols, once you get the hang of it.  That's likely some of the appeal. 

Pistols are the challenge, in all Divisions, and Open is a rare experience (despite the fact that you have to be perhaps 25% faster in order to keep up at the level you were at in an iron-sight division).  Also better for older eyes (so "they" say :lol:).

I was one of the DVC experience guys, 500-1000 rds the slide cracked.... STI gave me a new gun.   A buddy got one that was cracked on these forums and the seller refused to refund him and made him deal with STI.   Not sure if STI has replaced his slide or gun yet.  I've heard of quite a few frames and slides cracking lately.... looks like STI might want to look into a different supplier.

Well damn. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones!! I got mine last week. 350 rounds through it so far and I'm very happy not a hiccup with the first load I've tried. That being said I put Cheely mount and deltapoint on it as well as an aftec extractor before I shot it. But since that it's been great. I read about some of the possible massaging that might be needed ahead of time so I was ready, but pleasantly surprised so far. I had not read about slide cracking. That would suck. A lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm betting STI has sold three times the amount of DVC Open pistol than any other builder. And considering the amount of open shooters on this forum there is a high likely hood you'll hear about a frame crack here. I know a lot of people shooting the DVC Opens including me and they all love them. A lot of gun for the money.  Go shoot your DVC and don't worry about the slide which will probably never crack. 

11 hours ago, teros135 said:

Not even close. 

Ok, maybe I was guilty of fishing a little bit on that one :) . 

A real question, how much does the traditional dot elevation hurt you ? I'm a bit of a CZ fanboy but I wonder if I should pass on that thought in favor of something with a sideways mount. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Ok, maybe I was guilty of fishing a little bit on that one :) . 

A real question, how much does the traditional dot elevation hurt you ? I'm a bit of a CZ fanboy but I wonder if I should pass on that thought in favor of something with a sideways mount. 

I'm also a CZ fan (also STI for Limited) and found it to be somewhat of an adjustment.  Lots of dry firing and a certain amount of "dot dance" at the first several matches to find the dot.  Now it's pretty much intuitive. 

That said, I'd like to try the RTS2 (v4, the good one) but would miss the larger lens of the slide ride version. 

The sideways mount puts the dot closer to the slide and allows a more "natural" mounting of the gun, but there's that blob of plastic on the left side.  Experienced 90-degree shooters say it "disappears" because both eyes are open, and I've seen some pretty fast folks with that one.  It's also a good option for 9 major due to the brass hitting the regular slide ride during ejection and bouncing back into the ejection port.  I might give it a try, just to see.