Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New stock2, field strip question

So I stripped the gun down to clean and lube it before I take it out for the first time to shoot it. The slide release was really tight... Like I had to smack it with a hammer tight. I had the dots on the slide lined up and everything. I come from 1911s and plastic fantastic guns. My 1911s arent nearly that tight, not even close. This is my first Tanfoglio so I may just be over worried.

Is that typical? If its normal, I dont mind, I just dont want to hurt something.

Man, this gun is like the tightest fitting thing ever. Was doing some dry fire tonight, locked the slide open and went to slingshot it closed, wouldn't close. No mag inserted. Seems like the slide stop is kinda hitting the side of the frame and binding. doesn't matter I don't slingshot most of the time anyways. It works when I activate the release though. It's like its hung up or something. Some more lube and a few hundred rounds will probably fix it though, who knows.

Anyone else run into stuff like this.

Check the rails for goobers left from machining.

The slide release sould NOT need a hammer. I push with a magazine base while slowly allowing the slide to creep forward. When it's clear, it pops out.

Once apart, polish the piss out of everything.

The slide release has a flat area on the end of the pin section with a groove at the base of the flat. This groove catches a wire spring which keeps the pin in the gun. Before you put the slide release in put some oil or light grease on the flat and in the groove. Also put some oil on the spring. You can see the spring by looking into the right side of the hole the slide release pin goes into. This should make removal and insertion easier. Also be sure to lube ( I like Wilson grease- actually a liquid grease) on the slide release pin and the inside surfaces of the bean( the bean is the kidney bean shaped cutout on the barrel lower lug that the slide release pin rides inside of). This helps the gun go in and out of battery. Also light lube on the barrel top lugs of course. I really like these guns. They start out pretty tight but after 800-1000 rounds they start feeling pretty good.

Yea, I saw all that stuff, I lubed everything and re-assembled, but the release seems to be rubbing on the side of the frame on the exterior. Which kinda sucks cuz it has already scratched the frame a bit. Not a big deal since it's probably going to get scratched up a bit anyways in uspsa matches and 3 gun... I might sand it down a bit under the thumb area to see if it will fit better, but if not, I'll just order a new one, no big deal. It honestly almost seems bent.

Edited by ryridesmotox

So the slide stop was bent. Put a new slide stop in and it works perfectly. Also put in a 8lbs recoil spring, a 13lbs hammer spring, henning firing pin and firing pin spring. Everything SEEMS to be working ok. Hopefully I can get out and put some round through it this weekend.