Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 +1 base pads.

Dirtchevy841

• 2 weeks later...

TTI looks good just Dawson looks easier with that slide out deal.

That's actually the reason I went to exclusively TTI. I had a couple Dawson pads where the slider got messed up. One wouldn't close, and the other actually lost the tiny detention mechanism that kept it closed. Used for less than half of a summer. Dawson would sell me replacement parts, either way, that's not durable enough for me.

One of my TTI pads has a barely perceptible dent. But still functions 100%

YMMV

I just had a conversation with Beven at Grams last week about base pads and it changed my opinion.

I was going to go with TTI pads because I thought they looked easiest to get off. Beven said one issue with the design is the way you slide off the pad it catches the spring which then over stretches during removal. He is getting reports of springs failing before their scheduled end of life and think the pads could be the issue.

Beven recommends his own pads or Dawson's to avoid the spring stretch. He mentioned some shooters have drilled a hole in the bottom of the TTI pad to use a tool to depress the spring so the pad can slide off without stretching the spring.

Edited by Haywizzle

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a conversation with Beven at Grams last week about base pads and it changed my opinion.

I was going to go with TTI pads because I thought they looked easiest to get off. Beven said one issue with the design is the way you slide off the pad it catches the spring which then over stretches during removal. He is getting reports of springs failing before their scheduled end of life and think the pads could be the issue.

Beven recommends his own pads or Dawson's to avoid the spring stretch. He mentioned some shooters have drilled a hole in the bottom of the TTI pad to use a tool to depress the spring so the pad can slide off without stretching the spring.

I haven't heard of any issues with spring failures strictly because of the spring. You can shoot me a PM with your number and I can have Taran talk to you directly.