Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History and evolution of practical shooting

Esther

I'm writing a history of practical shooting with input from top shooters (current and former), as well as some of the RO's and regular shooters who have been around the sport for a long time. I think it's really neat that a lot of the legends of practical shooting (Brian, Rob, Jerry...) are still around, and it would be a shame not to get their perspectives before they pass (though may top shooters live forever :)). Unfortunately, Jeff Cooper is no longer around, but many of the shooters he trained and shot with are.

I'm interested in the evolution of the sport, the institutions, the culture, the techniques, and the gear. I'm also interested in the "so what?" of practical shooting. How has experimentation in the sport affected technique in the military, law enforcement, and defensive shooting?

I need help with:

1) suggestions of people I should talk to (if you can connect me or are that person, even better!)

2) books, essays, interviews, etc., that I should read

3) your perspectives on the evolution of the sport. If you've been around a while, I want to hear what has changed and which changes you like and despise. (Yes, I've read Brian's "The Degeneration of American Sport.")

4) stories and anecdotes

5) any other suggestions or ideas

Feel free to PM or email (epkann@gmail.com) me too.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Esther

E-

I'm researching some books you might be interested in reading-ready to go prowling through used bookstores, and all the book tables at your local gun show?

When I get back to a computer, I'll share that info, along with some other thoughts/ideas.

I think this is a great project!

Take care, Honey Badger-talk to you later. :-)

Steve RA - Thanks! It will be informative. I hope it will be interesting as well. :)

Tim - Thank you for getting me thinking along these lines in the first place! I would love any and all reading suggestions and thoughts/ideas.

I'm writing a history of practical shooting with input from top shooters (current and former), as well as some of the RO's and regular shooters who have been around the sport for a long time. I think it's really neat that a lot of the legends of practical shooting (Brian, Rob, Jerry...) are still around, and it would be a shame not to get their perspectives before they pass....

1) suggestions of people I should talk to (if you can connect me or are that person, even better!)

If you genuinely want insights into the history of IPSC, some people that you should talk to are Janelle Cooper, Dick Thomas, Ken Hackathorn and Rick Miller.

Janelle was involved in almost every facet of the structure of early competition; the "J ladder" (the "J" stands for Janelle) was Cooper's prototype for the man-against-man shootoffs in the very early days. Jeff's idea for a tournament was that all of the events were simply a way to select who would enter the man-against-man shoot off. The Shootoff, not the tournament stages would soley determine the champion. She could give you great insight into the events that led up to the organization of IPSC.

Dick Thomas (partially at the behest of Hackathorn) actually set up the original Columbia Conference and served as IPSC's VP if I'm not mistaken. He's the reason that the conference was held in Columbia Missouri and also the reason (along with Raul Walters) that Ray Chapman later moved there. He could give you great insights into the personalities of the various attendees like Gerry Gore from Africa, Bruce Nelson, Ron Lerch, Ken Hackathorn and Rick Miller). He can probably be contacted thru the newly re-opened Chapman Academy.

Ken H. and Rick Miller were very instrumental in the very earliest stages and both were writers that chronicled the birth pangs and early growth.

I don't remember whom the actual Match Director for the first National Match held in Colorado was---Ron Phillips was the Co. Section Coordinator and I believe that he's still alive.

Also someone from the old SWPL would be valuable to talk to, someone like Dalton or Fichman could undoubtedly give you good insights on the early days.

With no disrespect meant to the three individuals that you referred to, they're relative new comers to the sport from the standpoint of its foundation in that the sport was already established by the time they started shooting.

JMO.

Edited by Early IPSC'er

Early IPSC'er - Thank you for that very helpful pointer to look further back in the history of IPSC. Tremendously helpful post. And thank you for the names and backgrounds of people that I should read about and contact.

Update: If anyone has photos from the early days of practical shooting, I'm interested in those as well!

Powder Finger - Thanks!

Early IPSC'er - I just talked to Mark Keefe at American Rifleman (the guy is super nice and amazingly knowledgeable about firearms history), and he also suggested I interview Janelle Cooper.

We also had an interesting discussion on why people are interested in firearms and shooting history and how to make such an account meaningful.

ChuckS - Thank you!

PowderFinger - Yes that occurred to me too, but I'm not sure how to search the forum for file type.

From correspondence with a friend with whom I am bouncing ideas:

The big question that's been brewing in the back of my mind is, how do I write a history of practical shooting that is interesting to more than just the small set of people in our small sport who are interested in the history of it? How do I tie developments in the practical shooting scene to the history of firearms, combat, and defense at large, and to the goings-on in the U.S. and world at the time? At the same time, many of the stories and personalities are intrinsically interesting, and I want to capture something of the heady spirit of the early days, as well as the spirit of experimentation that guys like Brian and Rob were a part of in the 80's.
My favorite historians - Thucydides, Donald Kagan, Anthony Beever - take facts and weave them into stories that have larger themes but are still accurate. And they don't overdo it on the relevance. For example, Donald Kagan doesn't say, "The splitting of ancient Greece into Athenian and Spartan factions resembles the splitting of the modern world into the American and Soviet blocs." He draws immediate connections - how the aftermath of the Pelopponesian War ended the Golden Age of Athens and left Greece vulnerable to Macedonian takeover - but he also lets the story speak for itself because he assumes (and respects) that history is relevant.
It may be that the maximum possible audience for a history of practical shooting is shooters who are directly interested in it, but I think - at least, hope - not.