Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for knocking down steel

IMC87

Ok, Sorry, But I have searched and while there are some answers to what i'm looking for, more questions keep coming up...

Here's what I have to be running in a 2011 Pistol W/ Barsto Barrel and 13# recoil spring:

-Hodgon's TiteGroup

-Alliant Power Pistol

-Alliant Bullseye

-Montana Gold 180Gr JHP Bullets

I Will be mainly shooting steel matches/ targets (the kind where you knock down the steel targets)

I'm looking for a good recipe using the above components that will be soft, accurate, and yet still pack enought 'UMPH' to knock down a steel target...

What do you guys have for me? (BTW, i have not purchased the bullets yet, so any input on different weight bullets is welcomed, but i'm trying to stick to jacketed rounds for now)

EDIT: Also, please include what OAL to use with the recipes

Edited by IMC87

Any load that makes minor power factor or above will do just fine. If you're flirting with the lower floor of minor, you may have to hit the calibration zone of a slightly heavy popper, but that's no biggie. Normal steel targets will fall even if you dip below minor. That said. Man up and shoot major and never worry about it.

Any load that makes minor power factor or above will do just fine. If you're flirting with the lower floor of minor, you may have to hit the calibration zone of a slightly heavy popper, but that's no biggie. Normal steel targets will fall even if you dip below minor. That said. Man up and shoot major and never worry about it.

That answers most of it then, back to search it is :D

for now at least, im sure more questions will arise :blink:

Ok, Sorry, But I have searched and while there are some answers to what i'm looking for, more questions keep coming up...

Here's what I have to be running in a 2011 Pistol W/ Barsto Barrel and 13# recoil spring:

-Hodgon's TiteGroup

-Alliant Power Pistol

-Alliant Bullseye

I Will be mainly shooting steel matches/ targets (the kind where you knock down the steel targets)

I'm looking for a good recipe using the above components that will be soft, accurate, and yet still pack enought 'UMPH' to knock down a steel target...

What do you guys have for me? (BTW, i have not purchased the bullets yet, so any input on different weight bullets is welcomed, but i'm trying to stick to jacketed rounds for now)

Is this match something your going to focus on or just a once in a while match? DO you plan on shooting limited with that gun as well? Personally if your going to shoot limited as well, then I would load to major and have at it. Usually 4.7 titegroup, a 180 JHP, 1.180 OAL will make 170-175PF. If your wanting to shoot just minor then I would suggest a light weight bullet and I don't have any load data for those as I use a 9mm when shooting minor.

-Hodgon's TiteGroup

-Alliant Power Pistol

-Alliant Bullseye

Is this match something your going to focus on or just a once in a while match? DO you plan on shooting limited with that gun as well? Personally if your going to shoot limited as well, then I would load to major and have at it. Usually 4.7 titegroup, a 180 JHP, 1.180 OAL will make 170-175PF. If your wanting to shoot just minor then I would suggest a light weight bullet and I don't have any load data for those as I use a 9mm when shooting minor.

You hit it on the head there.

That is exactly my plan, BUT, i've yet to get into competition, and figure i'll shoot the steel matches since they are once-in-a-while and have no rules as to what you're shooting (and since my schedule for work is unpredictable)

The load data you gave me was the kind of load I was looking for. It sounds perfect! Thanks! :D

Edited by IMC87

IMC.....

Rule of thumb for steel load with your gun. Get a 10lb spring. Use the same OAL as you do now. I would use TG or Bullseye, as they are fast burning powders, and that is what you want for a light steel load. Start at 3.5grains and load 10-20 rounds of that, 3.8gr, 4.0gr, 4.2 etc.

What you are looking for is a load that will lock the gun back empty, if your gun is set up for that. Rule of thumb is to get a light load that will function 100% rapid fire, then add .02gr to help with functioning if your gun is dirty at a match, a bad grip, pretty much anything that can go wrong. If the gun runs at 3.6, then load 3.8 and call it good. I would run the gun dirty and shoot a couple hundred rounds of that load at practice and see what happens. If it runs 100%, then load all the brass....LOL!

With 180s you will be right in there between 3.6 and 4.0grains.....

Good luck, hope this helps!

DougC