Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP cycling problems

pbosik

1st time out with the shotty, i was shooting 3 dram and 1 1/8 oz shot, it ran well for 20 shots then the functioning problems started.By the time the last stage the thing was a single shot, with the shells stove pipeing(stuck in ejection port)i tried to shoulder the gun harder with no success. Took it home and cleaned it completely, it has the light piston in it, and my gunsmith is rec. i have him enlarge the 2 gas ports, i have only shot this gun maybe 50rds , whatcha experienced shotgun guys think?

Check the piston very good. I've seen a few lately that are seized up and had a broken spring.

Disassemble and check real well. Do not touch the gas ports. The gas ports are already oversized. The piston regulates the gas.

The best solution at this point may be to send the piston to SureCycle and let them replace the spring with a spacer. As of late....the guns I've come across that do not cycle have been piston related. Take the forearm and piston and everything off the gun and check the magazine tube for straightness as well. I've seen one that was installed crooked and impeded piston movement.

Lube both sides of the bolt slide rails generously. Also lube the bolt where it attaches to the carrier. there is a small hole in the bottom inside edge of the ejection port. Thats the lube hole for the outside rail. Lube it and cycle it 10 times and then repeat again. Mine is pretty wet. And don't use something too thick. Mobil One,Gun Butter, Slip2000 EWL, Militec will all work fine. No greases.

Did you wipe all the packing grease off then lube? Manual says to also lube spring and seal on gas piston (lightly). Fully disassembled coat the inside of the reciever (lightly) with oil. Oil bolt assembly and rails. I use mobile 30W synthetic. I also used slide glide in the tube where the tang of the bolt assembly recoils into. (sorry for bad terminology).

Where are u guys lubing, I didn't want to over do it and the manual is vague at best

I liberally hit it with MOBIL 1 10/30. Bolt gas piston, rails, everything. Not so much on the recoil spring.

I was told by someone at FNH that no lube is needed on the piston. Would it be a good idea to lube the piston anyway?

Where are u guys lubing, I didn't want to over do it and the manual is vague at best

I liberally hit it with MOBIL 1 10/30. Bolt gas piston, rails, everything. Not so much on the recoil spring.

I was told by someone at FNH that no lube is needed on the piston. Would it be a good idea to lube the piston anyway?

After 4 years of lubing the piston and everything else I have had zero problems related to the gas system. The magazine tube shell catch and the weak spring it comes with is a different story.

I only clean it maybe 2 or 3 times a year, So, with practice, the Ironman, Rocky Mountain 3 gun, R&R Racing, and the local matches it does pretty well.

Edited by Big Bore

Before I finally sold it, my SLP would not run anything but high brass ammo. The lightest load I could run was S&B, which was a midbrass round. Light piston, lube, storing with bolt locked back to "break in" the recoil spring, nothing worked to allow it to run field loads. Finally got tired of it and sold it. There is a sporting clays piston with an extra light spring. That was the only thing I didn't try before I got rid of it.

Well, I went out, short on time and fired 12 rds rapidly, 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz, without any issues. It feels much better, sat is a 3 gun match, I will report back afterwards. Thanks again, I think it was under lubricated !

Very wet in the bolt and rails, light oil on piston, and all I use now is Remington black hull game loads for birdshot, and my buckshot and slugs in the 1350 fps area. Altough I've had no issues using lighter clay loads, I use a little heavier stuff as a precaution. Works for me.