Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setup For Lazy Reloader

I looked through a bunch of post but didn't find anything addressing this question.

Is it possible to do every step of reloading, except tumbling, on a XL-650/1050 with either a single toolhead or multi-toolhead?

I shoot Glocks 9mm and soon .40/.357 sig and .223 .270. So I believe, since I shoot Glocks, I should consider a different sizer/deprimer die or perhaps two seperate dies?

If this is doable can you look this over and comment and if you don't mind me asking what's your setup?

First tumble brass... then place in casefeeder on 650

Toolhead #1

Station #1 RCBS Lube Die and deprimer,

Station #2 Resizer die EGW for Glock brass, or something similar GRX, CasePro?

Station #3 Swager tool, is there a swage tool that will go on the XL-650?

Station #4 Dillon 1200B Case Trimmer, I understand you don't need to chamfer if you use this tool?

Station #5 Almost out of Stations, anything else? Case gauge, debur primer hole tool, bristle cleaner or something else before we get to the actual reloading or should I get a 1050?

Retumble brass to clean off lube,

Toolhead #2

Station #1 Empty?

Station #2 Insert primer, bell pistol brass and drop powder

Station #3 Powder check/Bullet feeder?

Station #4 Seater die or/Bullet feeder if crimp is not necessary?

Station #5 Crimp die or Seater die.

So hows that look or am I irredeemably lazy?

Edited by Wildkow

For straight walled pistol cartridges

Station 1: Size and Deprime (I use an EGW undersize die. Removes Glock belly)

Station 2: Bell case mouth, insert primer, drop powder (standard Dillon die)

Station 3: Powder check (optional) (standard Dillon)

Station 4: Bullet seating (I use a Redding micrometer but the Dillon is fine)

Station 5: Crimp (I use a Lee Factory Crimp)

One tool head, one process, no swapping around. I would advise finding a buddy who reloads on a 650 who will let you look over his shoulder for a bit until you get the hang of it. You'll find lots of buddies like that at your local USPSA match if you ask.

John

Edited by John Heiter

For straight walled pistol cartridges

Station 1: Size and Deprime (I use an EGW undersize die. Removes Glock belly)

Station 2: Bell case mouth, insert primer, drop powder (standard Dillon die)

Station 3: Powder check (optional) (standard Dillon)

Station 4: Bullet seating (I use a Redding micrometer but the Dillon is fine)

Station 5: Crimp (I use a Lee Factory Crimp)

One tool head, one process, no swapping around. I would advise finding a buddy who reloads on a 650 who will let you look over his shoulder for a bit until you get the hang of it. You'll find lots of buddies like that at your local USPSA match if you ask.

John

Thanks for the fast reply John. At this time I'm shooting a G19 so the cases are tapered although I don't think that matters

with the EGW die, as a side note I have come across a bit of grousing concerning the EGW die on BE forums.

Do you reload rifle and how do you take care of case prep and lubing? Right now I'm doing mine with a RCBS Trim Pro Center

but I have neuropathy in my extremities and have lost muscle because of it and these old hands just don't have the strength that

they once had. I don't think case trimming is as big a deal with pistol brass, for rifle I'm pretty sure it's a concern but if I'm

picking pistol or any other kind of brass up off the range running it through a trimmer to confirm length isn't a bad idea right?

BTW, do you know of a swage that will fit on a XL-650?

Wildkow

Pistol brass.. never been a concern.

There's no Swage on a 650.. only a 1050, or it's a separate operation.

Lots of posts on the forum about prepping rifle brass. It just about has to be 2 separate operations, and most people will have 2 separate heads setup for it.

Pistol brass.. never been a concern.

There's no Swage on a 650.. only a 1050, or it's a separate operation.

Lots of posts on the forum about prepping rifle brass. It just about has to be 2 separate operations, and most people will have 2 separate heads setup for it.

Well I haven't been able to find anything addressing what I'm asking about. A linky would be nice if it addresses the automation of that process and not just the manual side of it which I already know about. What about the RCBS Primer Pocket Swage Die? Anyone here try that on a progressive press like the 650?

Wildkow