Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L with Bo-Mars

bobobooie

Did a search and could not find a photo or any discussion on the use of Bo-Mar type rear sights on a M&P. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a thread, or to a photo of one installed.

Heck, maybe it's not an option at all. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Paul

Did a search and could not find a photo or any discussion on the use of Bo-Mar type rear sights on a M&P. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a thread, or to a photo of one installed.

Heck, maybe it's not an option at all. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Paul

Dawson precision makes an adjustable rear sight, but it's nothing like a Bowmar. I've actually thought about cutting my rear sight to make the rear blade thinner, but I haven't done it yet.

Many years past, when I shot a lot of NRa bullseye, Bo-Mars were the gold standard for their click repeatability and rugged construction. I don't see them much in today's action pistol competition. Are they still in business? If they are and someone has a link I would sure appreciate it.

Chris Christian

I run the Dawson Adjustable sights on my M&P's and like them. They are as close to a Bomar sight picture as you will get. More like a Heinie except adjustable. So far they are holding up very well. Good luck finding what you want and if you ever what to see what they look like just let me know and I will bring mine to Sir Walter with me.

Thanks guys. I have seen the M&P with the Dawson adjustable rear sight, and was able to shoot one. But... I'm looking for a "Bomar" TYPE of rear sight (not just the type of sight picture) that has been successfully installed on a M&P. Maybe Champion that I think is now Ken's sights, the Ed Brown, or STI version. Of all the options I have found for the M&P, I have not found a BoMar TYPE. Rich at Canyon Creek mounts that "type" of rear sight on the tactical XDs he sells as "production ready", and I have seen them on Glocks. Just never on a M&P. I have a 9L coming and am getting all my info in order. I love the look of the BoMar TYPE buried into the slide and was hoping it had been done before and photos were available. In the weeks to come I'll be picking your minds for what you have done to yours.

Thanks guys. I have seen the M&P with the Dawson adjustable rear sight, and was able to shoot one. But... I'm looking for a "Bomar" TYPE of rear sight (not just the type of sight picture) that has been successfully installed on a M&P. Maybe Champion that I think is now Ken's sights, the Ed Brown, or STI version. Of all the options I have found for the M&P, I have not found a BoMar TYPE. Rich at Canyon Creek mounts that "type" of rear sight on the tactical XDs he sells as "production ready", and I have seen them on Glocks. Just never on a M&P. I have a 9L coming and am getting all my info in order. I love the look of the BoMar TYPE buried into the slide and was hoping it had been done before and photos were available. In the weeks to come I'll be picking your minds for what you have done to yours.

The spring for the striker block is held in place by the rear sight.  I'm not sure you could make the cuts necessary for the bomar and still keep that functioning properly.  (IMHO, it's a crappy design.  At least I think so every time I try and install a new rear sight.)  I think that will be your biggest obstacle.  You could probably find a way to work around it, but it might not be production legal at that point.  I'm not talking about removing the safety, but modifying the way the spring is installed, because the rear sight will be lower.

Welcome to the world of M&P.  Now you can beat me in production as well as SS.

The spring for the striker block is held in place by the rear sight.  I'm not sure you could make the cuts necessary for the bomar and still keep that functioning properly.  (IMHO, it's a crappy design.  At least I think so every time I try and install a new rear sight.)  I think that will be your biggest obstacle.  You could probably find a way to work around it, but it might not be production legal at that point.  I'm not talking about removing the safety, but modifying the way the spring is installed, because the rear sight will be lower.

You're probably right that you'd have to start changing things to get a low mount BoMar fit to the slide. The new BoMar cut rear that Tripp came out with might be better, but still might require moving stuff.

After seeing a few pins and elevation screws break (one was mine) and completely kill a shooter's stage/match I'm looking at an alternative for all my guns with BoMars. I think the new Trip may be the way of the future.

Honestly the Warren Tactical rear on my M&P is probably on their for as long as I have the gun. R,

That was my concern, the striker block thingy, but was hoping someone had gotten around it. I do want to be compliant with USPSA rules though. Was just wondering if it could be an option for a rear sight. Nah, not Production. I'm gonna stick to SS for now. Got a super good deal through Bud's Police Supply and had to get a 9L. And, the way you have been shooting, you are safe from this old fart. Plus, I've got this friend in W.Va who is already itching to get his hands on it so it'll most likely go there for a while and get a massage.

After seeing a few pins and elevation screws break (one was mine) and completely kill a shooter's stage/match I'm looking at an alternative for all my guns with BoMars. I think the new Trip may be the way of the future.

I agree with you on this. I replaced both my STI rears with Ken sights (Champion). So far so good. The new Trip does look good though.

I've seen the dovetail part cut off a BoMar making it a flatbottom sight that was silver brazed (I think) onto a matching cut on a 1911. Don't know it this would work on an M&P. It would be an interesting look, which my old eyes would appreciate.

FWIW

Richard

I've seen the dovetail part cut off a BoMar making it a flatbottom sight that was silver brazed (I think) onto a matching cut on a 1911. Don't know it this would work on an M&P. It would be an interesting look, which my old eyes would appreciate.

FWIW

Richard

Yep. They used to sell a flat botton one made at BoMar. I'll have to see when it gets here if it's feasable to make the entire sight cut on the 9L the same depth as the bottom of the dovetail and run it all the way back.

Maybe not, but that is o.k. The Dawson one is pretty nice and I do want adjustable. I was just thinking out loud, so to speak.